Blue Hole WILL Be Open Weekends in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Well, that didn't go over so well. My email....

Mr. Delgado's reply...

I guess that's the way it is...?

Yeah, that sounds alot like the answer I got from Richard when I emailed him with some questions several months ago. It was a subtly hostile response.
I'll have to see if I can find it in my email. On one hand he said that the permits were on the honor system and not enforced, but at the same time he said that people would be checking for them and we better have them...
oh yes.. and I noticed that he didn't answer any of your concerns Don. And when I asked the same thing about the city selling permits I got some blow off answer that it is not the cities responsibility to sell the permits, just our responsibility to have them.
Seems like Mr. Delgado may not be the best person for the city to have acting as a liason to the divers.

DandyDon:
Well, that didn't go over so well. My email....

Mr. Delgado's reply...

I guess that's the way it is...?

I am beginning to sense a failure to communicate. The scuba divers are getting annoyed with the city's inability to communicate what they are doing and that the facilities are poorly maintained. And the city seems to be having a problem with the invading divers who don't pay the city for using the Blue Hole.

I am surprised that the city thinks there are so many people not paying. Most people are students and the fees are paid as part of their class. It is rare for me to see divers without the weekend or yearly tag. On Saturday morning an officer is often there and he has a line of people paying the fee.

We need a way to bring the two groups together to see if we can resolve this.

<edit>I don't know? I may call Kim - not Nick as I said earlier again and run my email exchange by him. Or maybe someone more diplomatic would like to carry this ball...?

DandyDon:
I don't know? I may call Nick again and run my email exchange by him. Or maybe someone more diplomatic would like to carry this ball...?

IMHO a Gentleman and a Rogue is diplomatic enough. eyebrow

From my experience, The people who aren't paying to dive aren't paying because nobody it out there to take their money for a permit. It's not because they aren't willing to pay. It's pretty much that simple ... Also, I think that atleast of of the permit guys at the city are crooked. I had a friend give one of the permit guys money for a permit. The permit guy said he didn't have his reciept book and also said he would have to go to the offce to get the permit .. needless to say my friend never saw the guy again to get the permit ..

My Lubbock Dive Shop spoke with a lady actually involved in the dredging who said The Hole would be close in June? It would be good to call ahead before diving in, at least...

Okay, I phoned Kim - not Nick as I said earlier , and I was careful to start the converstaion on a courteous note, staying that way for most of the chat! He looked up the email exchange I had with Mr. Delgado, said that Mr.D could have worded his reponse better, and I said I wasn't bothered.

In our chat, tho - he stated that no one is going to be there on Sundays - to sell permits or check on the heads. He thought there may be a hotel in town that could sell permits, but he'd have to check on that.

The chat went downhill, tho, when I suggested that they really need to ensure the heads are clean and funtional on Sundays. He seem to get kinda defensive and irritated, telling me that it's their city park and I can take my business elsewhere I want to. :11:

I guess I'll dive The Hole when I can, make prior arrangements on the head calls like I would on a six-pack boat, and maybe buy the annual permit as a show of cooperation attemtped.

My Lubbock Dive Shop suggests this approach on the permits. If one goes to the city web sit, then the Scuba link (here's a link), then the permit link, prints it out, completes it with copy of C-card and money then keeps all this handy to turn in at The Hole - if no one is there to issue permits, but the cops catch you, giving him all this in advance should prevent one from getting a ticket, or wose as could happen in a small town.

I'm going to attach the current permit application here...

Yes, I have a almost completely filled out application in my log book. I just have to fill in the day and date a check. I haven't seen any permit guys out there at all this summer. Even the weekend I was there from Friday - Sunday .. Basically the City wants your money to help keep the Blue Hole in good condition, but they aren't willing/able to have somebody out there during the busy times (weekends) to help enforce the rules. IMHO that's what it amounts to.

amascuba:
Yes, I have a almost completely filled out application in my log book. I just have to fill in the day and date a check. I haven't seen any permit guys out there at all this summer. Even the weekend I was there from Friday - Sunday .. Basically the City wants your money to help keep the Blue Hole in good condition, but they aren't willing/able to have somebody out there during the busy times (weekends) to help enforce the rules. IMHO that's what it amounts to.
You realize that we are applying for permits good thru the end of the calendar year only. I figured it's, as I dive there for free in Dec, March, May.

It's also up to us to renew the permit at the end of the year, not lose it, etc.

It's their city park, we're guests...

amascuba:
From my experience, The people who aren't paying to dive aren't paying because nobody it out there to take their money for a permit. It's not because they aren't willing to pay. It's pretty much that simple ... ..

I agree. Unfortunately the people with the city say that it is our responsibility to have a permit, even if they are not selling them.. how is that for logic.
They said that if there was noone out there selling them then you should mail in your payment after the fact.

Here is a snippet of Richards email back to me:
"For persons coming in on a Saturday or a Sunday, we try to have someone come
over and make sure everyone is permitted, but each shop, instructor, diver, or
student should have a completed form along with payment ready. The application
form is available on line and copies can be picked up at the information center.

As you said earlier, groups and shops have been coming down here for a long time
and everyone knows the drill. Shops and instructors should train students to
fill out the form and have paperwork ready to go. I've seen shops with 5 -12
students come in, and leave without paying. That there is no one to "sell" a
permit is not an excuse. If the instructor or shop used the facility, they
should mail the payment and applications so they can be on file in case of an
accident, reaction, or other unforseen circumsatnce. All dive permit monies go
DIRECTLY into the facility fund.

The application forms are copied, and I've even seen people come up with their
own.

The permits are no longer available at Stella's of her own choosing. "

They could have a drop box at city hall. Just like public parking in a city. You drop an application with a check into an envelope, and tear off a stub as the receipt. It is an enforceable honor system, and requires no weekend salaried employees.

One of the nice things about BH is the freedom to park, dive, and do as you please.

However,

Trashed bathrooms will force people to use the parking lot to relieve themselves, so it would make sense to have someone police the facilities.

They may do well to police the area more often. We were there a couple of weeks ago late Sunday, and Sunday night, as well as Monday. We witnessed quite a few drug deals, a fight, and other suspicious activity. I was relieved each time we surfaced and walked back to the truck to find everything intact.

It seems like the Blue Hole improvement tax, which was on a recent ballot in Santa Rosa, was a very controversial issue. It passed, and many people are upset about it. These people may be trashing bathrooms, etc, and the tone of Mr Delgado's reply reflects frustration from an ongoing hot topic.

Lets hope that we continue to be welcomed to SR and that frustration levels don't get to the point where vandalism and theft makes BH unsafe, or the city decides its a nuisance and shuts it down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom