Blue Hole - Santa Rosa NM - News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John, will you be down there when the cave guys are there?

upload_2016-3-22_1-17-32.gif

Thats strangely relevant. I didnt know Stellas middle name was Zuna

In theory, I think that should allow access to what the state police reported as a giant bottomless pit back in the 70s, when they pulled the bodies of those two guys out.

Good luck and stay safe.

In theory, I think that should allow access to what the state police reported as a giant bottomless pit back in the 70s, when they pulled the bodies of those two guys out.

Good luck and stay safe.
There are several variations of the stories from then floating around the net. The most popular version says that two Oklahoma college boys died in the caves in 1976, the state police found one quickly, but took several weeks to find the other. There is also a tale of two more dying in the caves in 1979 before the grate was installed. Some wild claims have suggested the cave reaches the Great Lakes (totally absurd!) or at least to Texas (almost as silly). Some say the police got down to 225 or 250 feet, while others argue that their gauges were not altitude adjusted. One quote attributed to one of those police divers...
“When I went down to the third chamber, I was using a 100,000 candle-power flashlight,” Hawkins said. “I could see easily in the chamber, but I couldn’t see to the other side — or the bottom — of the third chamber. Just imagine yourself in Carlsbad Caverns, but filled with water and without light.”

I suppose the spring gets its water from the nearby Rocky Mountains, somehow. I hope the expedition can move the challenging rock okay and not dislodge any other, then come back safely with a better understanding to share.

Bummer.

A major blizzard is keeping me in the Denver area right now. I have a van filled with gear that will have trouble getting there for the scheduled start of activities.

Bummer.

A major blizzard is keeping me in the Denver area right now. I have a van filled with gear that will have trouble getting there for the scheduled start of activities.
It does look like a poor travel day. Tomorrow looks much better in Colorado City and Raton if it doesn't overwhelm the hiway folks. From Weather Underground...
A winter storm clobbered areas from Denver to southeastern Wyoming Wednesday morning, dumping large amounts of snowfall at a very rapid rate.

Up to 16 inches of snow was recorded in California as the system made its way across the West Coast. In parts of Wyoming and Colorado, more than a foot of snow have already fallen, and more is on the way. As a result, schools have been closed and the heavy, wet snow is leading to widespread power outages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom