Blue Hole - Santa Rosa NM - News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinNM

Contributor
Reaction score
Fees for dive permits have increased effective last week, $20 per week or $50 per year for divers. $100 per instructor per year, $200 per dive shop per year. Payable in cash or check, no credit cards. There is an ATM at the gas station right at the blue hole exit from I40...

NM State Police are supposed to be dredging the bottom of Blue Hole for a week sometime in March 2016 (unclear exactly what week) Monday-Friday. Apparently they are going to be removing all the silt, not sure why. So no diving then and the vis afterwards is likely to be very bad for a while. Stella probably knows exactly what week, but I forgot to get details before she left today.

The team from Florida that was working on the cave is also coming back some time in March to do more work. Hopefully not in the same week as the state police dive team.

So I was told today by the visitor center guy that the state police dive team is supposed to be there from March 6th-12th. Though he seemed a little unsure, that's what the email he had said. Stella said it will stink a lot when they do the work (as it's all decaying organic goo), and I was told by an instructor that the town has said that blue hole will be closed when they are there.

Stella said she understood the work on the cave will be at the end of March and involves a crane to haul out the rock they intend to remove to open up the passage. I've also heard that the town intends to close blue hole while they work, which isn't unreasonable if it involves cranes.

Thanks for the update. I will adjust my plans.

All the silt will be removed??? Maybe we can get down to 90' feet after that?
They did this a few years ago. Not much difference accomplished. If they'd remove the funnel, put back the old grate, and lower the level a couple of feet - it'd work better.

Last time they tried they made a big stinking muddy mess and didnt seem to get much done however it might be interesting to see how removing the rock for cave access changes the flow.

The cave team will be in town March 23-29. I will try to post updates on what is happening.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks John, it will be interesting!

I understand that the silt removal was done on time, and they took out an impressive amount. They did not take any rocks--maybe next year.

The cave team arrives during the day on the 23rd and will begin work on the 24th. Most of the work will be done in the upper levels of the cave, between the surface (85 feet) and 130 feet. In that area the team will be taking out more rock and hopefully improving the stability of the structure. If all goes well, a very tight restriction at 160 feet will be opened enough to allow someone to get through and see what lies beyond.

Back
Top Bottom