Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another BHB critter... this time ID help.

As I was sorting through the photos from last week and doing ID this one drew me up short:

PICT0095_2.jpg

Is this little guy a High Hat or a spotted drum? Looks like a High Hat, but his tail is turned so I can't see what would be his spotty area if he was a spotted drum. :headscratch:I watched him for a while, but danged if I can remember what the tail area looked like. You experienced trolls probably know this guy well and can find him at will.

As I was sorting through the photos from last week and doing ID this one drew me up short:

View attachment 174682

Is this little guy a High Hat or a spotted drum? Looks like a High Hat, but his tail is turned so I can't see what would be his spotty area if he was a spotted drum. :headscratch:I watched him for a while, but danged if I can remember what the tail area looked like. You experienced trolls probably know this guy well and can find him at will.

High Hat or Cubbyu juvenile ... Here's a Spotted Drum for comparison:

211-5.jpg

BHB lowres-0251.jpgWell that was certainly a great night dive to start 2014! A seahorse with crabs, the regular stingray in the sandy area, a green juvenile sea hare, a nice juvenile green moray, a long bobbit worm with an ugly face, and best of all, an inch long slipper lobster!

The viz was great and according to the Force E log, more than 40 people were out, it was a great evening.

I see "doubles", I'm thinkin' doubles man; as in WHY doubles at BHB? Although I've seen folks use doubles there..............oops, wrong sportlike activity! MY bad!

When I got my "solo" certification, I got me a pony and a thingy to attach it to my BC. I use the pony as just more air to use rather than for self rescue (at the bridge). I keep thinking that I ought to upgrade to a bigger "pony" - like maybe an 80 to go with my steel hundred. Problem is, I can barely make it from the car to the water and back with the weight of what I carry now. While I love the three to four hours of bottom time this gives me, six would be even better. :)

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 12:51 AM ----------

View attachment 174697Well that was certainly a great night dive to start 2014! A seahorse with crabs, the regular stingray in the sandy area, a green juvenile sea hare, a nice juvenile green moray, a long bobbit worm with an ugly face, and best of all, an inch long slipper lobster!

The viz was great and according to the Force E log, more than 40 people were out, it was a great evening.

Wonder if that might be a purple mouth moray. The bobbit didn't hear you talking about its face, did it? And, you didn't bring up the crabs in front of the seahorse, did you??

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 12:55 AM ----------

High Hat or Cubbyu juvenile ... Here's a Spotted Drum for comparison:

View attachment 174683

I've never seen a spotted drum at the bridge nor at LBTS. Tons of high hats, though. I even have a rule that I'm never to waste shots on high hats, anymore, but I seem to break the rule with some regularity. If I've ever seen a cubbyu, I haven't been aware of it.

Haven't seen the jackknife fish in a while. Wonder if he moved, got eaten, or collected..

View attachment 174697Well that was certainly a great night dive to start 2014! A seahorse with crabs, the regular stingray in the sandy area, a green juvenile sea hare, a nice juvenile green moray, a long bobbit worm with an ugly face, and best of all, an inch long slipper lobster!

I agree with JahJahwarrior, it was a great night dive. So much less crowded then during the day, we felt like we had the east bridge to ourselves. A couple of IDs we're not sure about: small octopus that looked a little different than the usual, maybe a Atlantic Pygmy Octopus, and sea hare type critter, maybe a Warty Sidegill Slug?

Attachments

• P1020755.jpg
    P1020755.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 99
  • P1020787.jpg
    P1020787.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 90
Did anyone find a pair of Scuba Pro booties on the west side this morning? A friend left hers on the sidewalk after the night dive last night and sure would like to get them back .....

Thanks, Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom