Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of going on Monday instead of Sunday. Is the entry/exit easy? I did my first ocean shore dive today at LBTS and put on quite a show for the beach crowd. I needed two guys to help me up after I fell coming in and got washed up on the shore. In some of the BHB photos it looks like maybe you can hold onto the concrete base support as you walk into the water.
There is no surf so entry/exit is very easy. No need to hold anything.

It's an easy entry and exit...as simple as walking into the water. There's no surf, and the concrete bridge bases shield you from any current.

Be sure to look down as you enter and watch where you walk...I've found octos and gurnards in thigh deep water. Make sure you have or are with someone with a dive flag. You're new here and there's been some past drama at BHB that resulted in some divers being ticketed for no dive flag (a misdemeanor criminal violation in Florida). Likewise pay attention to boat noises, as BHB sometimes gets lots of boat traffic.

Lastly...at BHB go slow, take your time, and relax and have fun...it's a beautiful dive !!!

I'm not surprised you had a tough exit today...3 - 4' ft surf is tough even for some of our local experienced shoredivers. A good rule of thumb in Lauderdale shorediving is if few or none are signing up the Gold Coast dives, it means the locals know something... and no shame in getting help on egress. I've impersonated a turtle several times coming out of the surf on my hands and knees. I found sand in amazing places in my gear afterwards (and elsewhere), so thorough rinsing after an exit like that is important.

Swellinfo.com is predicting flatter conditions from tomorrow afternoon through Sunday evening. If you want to tackle LBTS or Seatech, those are probably good times to attempt it, though viz may still be iffy tomorrow.

Sounds great! Thanks, rat-man and bilsant.

your juvenile cornetfish is actually an arrow shrimp. really nice find
hmm hadn't thought it might be a shrimp. interesting. thanks..(though wish it were a juv. cornetfish..)

Looking forward to seeing Baby Daddy tomorrow. Hope to see the BBs also, I may need zipper help!

It's an easy entry and exit...as simple as walking into the water. There's no surf, and the concrete bridge bases shield you from any current.

Be sure to look down as you enter and watch where you walk...I've found octos and gurnards in thigh deep water. Make sure you have or are with someone with a dive flag. You're new here and there's been some past drama at BHB that resulted in some divers being ticketed for no dive flag (a misdemeanor criminal violation in Florida). Likewise pay attention to boat noises, as BHB sometimes gets lots of boat traffic.

Lastly...at BHB go slow, take your time, and relax and have fun...it's a beautiful dive !!!

I'm not surprised you had a tough exit today...3 - 4' ft surf is tough even for some of our local experienced shoredivers. A good rule of thumb in Lauderdale shorediving is if few or none are signing up the Gold Coast dives, it means the locals know something... and no shame in getting help on egress. I've impersonated a turtle several times coming out of the surf on my hands and knees. I found sand in amazing places in my gear afterwards (and elsewhere), so thorough rinsing after an exit like that is important.

Swellinfo.com is predicting flatter conditions from tomorrow afternoon through Sunday evening. If you want to tackle LBTS or Seatech, those are probably good times to attempt it, though viz may still be iffy tomorrow.

When I first read your post, for some reason only the first three sentences showed up. Thanks for the additional info. I have a dive flag, and I always use it when I shore dive at home.

You made me feel better with what you said about the surf making for a tough exit. :)

Hey Trolls I promised some of my wife's pictures from our recent forays to the bridge so here goes.....
Lots of new snake eels for us lately.
For Scuba_Jenny the last two are of the Tongue Fish as promised. Very cool!

Attachments

• DSC_0507.jpg
    DSC_0507.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0556.jpg
    DSC_0556.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0562.jpg
    DSC_0562.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0706.jpg
    DSC_0706.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0925.jpg
    DSC_0925.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0977.jpg
    DSC_0977.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0989.jpg
    DSC_0989.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_1028.jpg
    DSC_1028.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_1037.jpg
    DSC_1037.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_1075.jpg
    DSC_1075.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Here is the hand sized nudie cruising under the fishing bridge, any ID would be nice.
The video is great because he is really moving.

Attachments

• DSC_1121.jpg
    DSC_1121.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom