Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't worry about it. I don't ever intend to make any money taking photos at BHB (is there money in macro UW photography?) although if someone offered some I wouldn't turn it down! haha. If someone wants to take a low-res image, crop my name off and use it, so be it. If anyone on this thread ever wants a high res image to print out (without my name on it) all you have to do is ask!

That being said...it doesn't bother me at all if someone puts a watermark in the middle of their image. I still enjoy looking at it. Ocean Eyes, keep sharing here! That's what this thread is all about!

Dear T.C, Scuba_Jenny, and MrChen,

Thank you for posting what I perceive as honest, constructive insight into what is to me a very serious business; the manner in which I display my work and the issue of copyright infringement. As I was perhaps a bit over-zealous in preparing my initial image file to post on ScubaBoard by making my watermark inordinately large, I’ll attempt to make them a touch less obvious in the future, should I decide to continue to share my photographs on this website. (I’ve already prepared a few images to accompany this post, so you’ll have to live with what I’ve done for now.)

While I agree that watermarks are of only marginal use in deterring theft, they do provide some modicum of protection, and as I’ve never posted my images on these forums before, figured any steps I take to protect my rights are worth the effort. (I think of watermarks as offering about the same level of protection to an image as discount car wax provides to a motor vehicle. It can’t hurt to apply some.)

There are many other techniques and practices that I use to help safeguard my rights; chief among them is to register my copyright. As you may or may not know, the copyright office specifies different procedures to register either published or unpublished images. I try and keep my office work as simple as possible by trying to submit as much of my work for registration prior to publication. By simply posting an image on these forums, it has become published, and thus requires a bit more work on my part.

A registered copyright is the strongest defense that an artist has in a copyright infringement case. Without the registration, I doubt that you would be able to find an attorney willing to represent you. I and my representatives vigorously enforce my rights, and have successfully pursued violators. The entire process of litigation is decidedly unpleasant, and though I’d rather be diving, am unwilling to allow myself to be victimized.

As I’m posting photographs here to share my appreciation with people who I believe share a common passion, (as opposed to promoting my business,) it is my hope that I won’t have to deal with much, or any theft of my rights from these forums. (I’ve also been hoping to see the Chicago Cubs win a World Series, so I am perhaps a bit of an optimist.) Should all go well, then I’ll continue to post images.
Cheers and best wishes,
OceanEyes

My understanding of copyright law is that it's yours and you hold the burden of proof. Simply putting the images on disk and mailing them to yourself, then keeping the letter unopened time stamps it. IF I were to find somebody posting my photos, I would first let them know that I should be mentioned as photographer, and second if they are making money off it, they need to stop immediate and remove the image... or give me a cut.. :wink:
Personally, there are so many images on FB floating around that have been shared it's almost impossible to track all down. I know quite a few of mine have been shared. I hear there is software of some type that can track down an image anywhere on the net, and I've thought that might be fun to do sometime..

I hear there is software of some type that can track down an image anywhere on the net, and I've thought that might be fun to do sometime..
Google Image is one. When the competition for the dive signal flag was going on, I withdrew myself after looking up one of the images (to confirm it could be done) and informed the contest 'leader'.

OceanEyes, please continue to post; I enjoy all the images, no matter how big the copyright is, or where it's placed! :D

First, copy right infringement is wrong and illegal
Second, thanks to Mr Chen now everyone can be a criminal
Third, we were told anything posted on social media was impossible to pursue legally since you've given implied consent to steal it.

Tim- we would like a signed high res image for free to be named later, please use archival grade ink for your signature. We need to lock this up now before you get any "better" ....

Jenny- was shocked to see under this new BHB resource you are listed as guide with no mention of your hand modeling abilities.
I have several still unedited award winning videos featuring your pinky nail for scale (and artistic value)

missed my bridge dive today due to extreme deco caused by Tiger sharks that refused to work by my dive computers algorithm.......

Arghhhhh, weekend dusk dives???????

John

Gibby (Jah Jah) has promised me to make my bio more verbose.. Adding a pinky though? Hmmm.. hadn't thought of that..

Glad you had a good dive, even with the tigers.. Got video? :D

Third, we were told anything posted on social media was impossible to pursue legally since you've given implied consent to steal it.
I don't think that's right. The mere fact of adding a copyright mark to it demostrates your intent to retain the rights to the image.

Tim- we would like a signed high res image for free to be named later, please use archival grade ink for your signature. We need to lock this up now before you get any "better" ....

I said you could have a high res image to print our yourself.

I would be happy to print one out and sign it, but that would cost you big $$$ :uwphotographer:

hehe

I am thrilled to see OceanEyes participate in this thread. He DOES happen make a living in UW macro photography (a la Nat Geo level). However he wishes to post photos is just fine by me.

Over the years I have used this thread to get info about the conditions and critters at BHB. And I have studied people's photos to try to be a better photographer myself. To have someone of OceanEye's caliber posting here is an honor. Welcome aboard OE. It's a treat to see your work. :worship:

Tofsay, or today if one's fingers are on the correct keys; at BHB. 25 ft of viz and 81F in the water. The Diva is back from her vacation up north and chose to warm up with a BHB dive! Quite a few divers as we are approaching the holiday weekend--my advice tomorrow, go early for front row parking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom