Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to the east side, seems like that was a lucky choice!

I would LIKE to, unfortunately chores around the house and catching up on some work won't allow it.

Planning on the night dive Tuesday though!

We were on the east side too. I wonder if we saw you. Nice photos!

Is anyone diving the bridge today? It would be great to meet some of you regulars! We are in a silver and blue Honda Element, and I wear a drysuit.

Tide kinda late today isn't it? If you go, have fun and please post a report!

Yes, we discussed going east as a friend said vis might be marginally better but Kevin's flag was zigzaging thru the second span of the west bridge and I thought odds high of finding a certain pike blenny, but either my marker was gone or I was no where close to the area....
Still beat staying home doing chores.:D
John

Last edited:
Despite horrid conditions, some fun was had....

Attachments

• BHB-201401115158.jpg
    BHB-201401115158.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 153
Kelly says she pointed this out to me but I couldn't see the forest for the trees so to speak

Attachments

• BHB-201401115204.jpg
    BHB-201401115204.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 153
Bandtail Puffer or juvenile Checkered Puffer, like the electric blue spots.....

Attachments

• BHB-201401115212.jpg
    BHB-201401115212.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 158
Saw some nudis I haven't seen before, as well as some other critters. 10'+ vis under the layer of brown stuff. Looked at my computer once, saw 77°F. Did see someone with a reeeeealy tall flag pole getting in over on the west side.

View attachment 175358 View attachment 175364

View attachment 175361 View attachment 175359

Dang. That's some seriously unique finds. You must have some *really* good eyes and know how to use em. I'm not sure that batfish thing ought to show up on a family forum, though. Love the baby starfish. No idea about those first two things. How many of those little green fronds did you have to look at to find something like that?? I've looked at about a million and have never found anything interesting. :depressed:

Well we were the couple going in under the reeeeeally tall flag.
We had met a bunch of friends who were sitting it out (wisely) but had advised Kevin was already in and headed thattaway...
Not wanting to leave my directionally impaired buddy to dive this stew without me we packed out and went for it.
I put this vis closer to 4 feet, brownish and had a consistent 73 degrees. Most frustrating were weird layers of "fresh" water that kept giving my video that rippling focus look even during the incoming tide.
Notables were a bumble bee shrimp (still not the spotted variant I'm seeking) multiple decorator crabs running hither and yon, a few nudies and some interesting crabs (tiny but colorful).
We never caught up with Kevin but as I hadn't found anything worth swimming over and getting them it wasn't a big deal. 160 minute dive ended in the dark and the coolest thing may have been these strange clear fish with bright white heads that swarmed my lights in the shallows. Looked like translucent fireflies. I have never seen this type before so (as usual) the bridge served up something new.
Pictures may follow but if my video is any indication it won't be post worthy.
John

Really enjoyed sitting and talking with that bunch. It was hard to get up and leave and go face that murk, but it's just too long a drive to waste a high tide down yonder. Wonder what's up with all those spongy decorators?? Had never spied one (the spongy version) on previous trips and they were all over this weekend. They crack me up. Guess that's just the way things tend to run at the bridge. Used to see a *lot* more seaweed blennies than I do these days, for example. Did run across a couple more soapfish yesterday. Stupid camera didn't want to focus on them in the dark water, even with my cheapo focus light trying to help. (It's too floppy and not all that bright). I'll see if I can dig up a shot or two. Actually, I mostly don't like those fish when I find them on the reef, but they're kind of exciting (to me) when I see them at the bridge. I'm easily entertained. I swear the sailfin blennies keep getting smaller and darker. And, yes the last part of the dive was a night dive. Wasn't finding anything, kept getting turned around, and was getting cold, so I got out with 700 pounds of air and less than three hours of bottom time. Still feel guilty. So, were there really any strange, clear fish with bright white heads in the shallows??
IMG_9786a.jpgIMG_9763a pair of stars.jpgIMG_9820a.jpgIMG_9844a.jpgIMG_9859b.jpgIMG_9875a.jpg

Don't find all that many nine armed starfish and even fewer brittle stars out in the open, but happened across the two of them together on this dive. That second little soapfish *really* didn't want any evidence of his existence going out. The gurnard was in the same place that I'd seen him yesterday. Too tired to fiddle with any more pics tonight.

Despite horrid conditions, some fun was had....

It's kind of interesting how much better I've gotten at finding (and re-finding once they make that first leap and swim to escape once the urchin is turned over). Found a few more this weekend. One of them was within a very few feet of where that spotted version was found. But, all those found this weekend by me were the striped sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom