Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went Friday night and met up with Jimw and DiveDimaDM plus 1 (not sure if Joanne has an account here).

They warned me the dive would be at a slow pace and boy they weren't kidding! It was great though and going slow like that really increased my bottom time. I hit 114 minutes on a steel 100 and walked out with 1100 psi left in my tank. There wasn't as much night action as I hoped, probably because it was more of a twilight dive than a night dive. I really appreciated them letting me join their group. The highlight of the night was a barracuda which swam about 2 feet in front of me at eye level. I didn't have my camera ready and I didn't want to scare it away, so I just sat still and took in the moment.

I actually learned quite a bit on the dive. This was my 16th dive, 12th at the bridge. There were people with some of the worst diving skills I've ever seen and they were kicking up quite a bit of sand off the bottom. I struggled with getting my buoyancy just right (we are not talking anything major, just a finger poke here or there to stay off the bottom when I got to close) for the first 30 minutes (maybe needed to drop a pound or 2), but once I got just the right short burst of air in my bladder, I was set. I remained horizontal the entire dive with my knees bent to lift my fins up. I'm conscience of not mucking up the water, mostly from reading here and diving how I was taught in my OW/AOW classes. These others had no etiquette whatsoever and probably didn't even know they were killing our viz.

We went out to diner afterwards to a very interesting place (Brass Ring). I would not have ever stopped there on my own, the place didn't draw anyone there for how the building looked. But the parking lot was full and the food was good. I drove by the next day around lunch when I dropped off my tank and the parking lot was still full. Popular place.

Here's a couple of pictures which turned out half way decent, which only means they focused well. I'm using a P&S Cannon SD1000, no lights. I even lost my diffuser (well, my dive buddy probably did). So please excuse the lack of color :).

View attachment 157900View attachment 157901View attachment 157902View attachment 157903View attachment 157904View attachment 157905View attachment 157906View attachment 157907View attachment 157908View attachment 157909View attachment 157910View attachment 157911

Yep, that would be Joanne in the pic. We enjoyed having you dive with us. Horay for your instructors for teaching you to keep your feet off the bottom and not swim with you hands and arms flying everywhere. We will dive with you anytime. Missing from our little group was Treasure Coast Diver Mike and Helen from Chicago. Jim, Joanne and I dove Sat. night as well. Temp was down a bit but the same plus more of those divers kicking up sand and hands, arms, legs & feet swinging everywhere were there. What are they thinking? Who trained them? They just don't get it.

Chris we would love having you join us any time. We will let you know when we are diving again. Please let your instructors know us experienced divers (old timers) really appreciate your training. And thank you for reading and learning and going the extra step to improve your skills. We did go to Brass Ring after the dive on Sat. night and actually had to wait for a table. lol Who would think??? But, now you have told everybody about the Brass Ring we will probably have to wait all the time...... :D

I think the Brass Ring was a mandatory watering hole for bridge trolls. First time I did the bridge, we went to the Brass Ring..

Yep, that would be Joanne in the pic. We enjoyed having you dive with us. Horay for your instructors for teaching you to keep your feet off the bottom and not swim with you hands and arms flying everywhere. We will dive with you anytime. Missing from our little group was Treasure Coast Diver Mike and Helen from Chicago. Jim, Joanne and I dove Sat. night as well. Temp was down a bit but the same plus more of those divers kicking up sand and hands, arms, legs & feet swinging everywhere were there. What are they thinking? Who trained them? They just don't get it.

Chris we would love having you join us any time. We will let you know when we are diving again. Please let your instructors know us experienced divers (old timers) really appreciate your training. And thank you for reading and learning and going the extra step to improve your skills. We did go to Brass Ring after the dive on Sat. night and actually had to wait for a table. lol Who would think??? But, now you have told everybody about the Brass Ring we will probably have to wait all the time...... :D

Oops! :)

I look forward to diving with you guys again. Now only if I could something about that place they call work and those things they call bills, I could dive all the time... *sigh*

I think the Brass Ring was a mandatory watering hole for bridge trolls. First time I did the bridge, we went to the Brass Ring..

If we're going home, north; from the bridge--Dune Dog near Jupiter Dive Center is our stop!! But the BR IS much closer and has a better burger--maybe the best burger!! I like the mushroom burger with chips!
ScubaJenny, Is there a favorite restaurant in the bridge area for you? Some folks in the parking lot were talking about going to Two Drunken Goats over near Pura Vida. I like the name anyway!!

I've been introduced and will add it to my routine.

Yep, that is how we were introduced to the BR. We still like it. Food is still good. And, we haven't seen that crabby waitress for quite some time. We thought she was a relative of an owner and that is how she kept her job. Maybe we have been lucky and just not there when she is working. She was scary. We have branched out some what and are going other places. The Tiki is nice with great atmosphere and close to bhb.

Haven't found any place nearby after diving for food. There is a Mexican joint further south near Delray that I've been to, but can't remember the name.

Great dive this morning. Viz 50+ ft (as-good-as-it-gets), with clean blue water and 81 degrees. We dubbed this a "Noah's Ark" dive. Everything we saw was in pairs. Including two frog fish!!

DSC01580 copy.jpg DSC01583 copy.jpg DSC01585 copy.jpg DSC01601 copy.jpg DSC01609 copy.jpg

This was my last BHB dive for a few weeks. Tall Guy and I leave next week for our annual trip to Ecuador. I go from photographing tiny seahorses to humpback whales twice as big as the boats we ride in.

Adios Amigos. See you the end of July!
xoxo
jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom