Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P6192552.jpgEvery trip I have one of these "What is it??" pics. Is it a mantis shrimp? Thanks!

Brenda - I think a false squilla (Human & Deloach Reef Creature pg 237)

Here are some pics from yesterday's dawn dive. It was still a little dark when we saw the Butterfly Ray. But as the sun came up the lighting was perfect!

DSC01527 copy.jpg DSC01540 copy.jpg DSC01565 copy.jpg DSC01537 copy.jpg DSC01554 copy.jpg DSC01550 copy.jpg

Kevin and I dove last night and will tonight, too. I was the one in all new gear (BP/W, new mask, new fins, new reg, new steel 80, only the wetsuit and booties were tried and true), so sorry for all the sand I kicked up near the entry point. This was only our second dive at the bridge, and we saw sooooo many fish and critters, many of which I couldn't identify! How fun!! This is an amazing dive. I am embarrassed to say I live right here and until now never got the hang of this dive. You will see more of us here now. One day, we will even bring the cameras along. For now I have to figure out all my new gear.
Amy

That ray is a *really* cool find.

I don't have any way of knowing, but I'm thinking that the ciliated false squillae are the smaller, "uglier" little guys whose heads are smaller relative to the rest of their bodies. This green one seems more like the larger ones I've seen at the bridge, generally black or green, that look more like the typical mantis shrimp (but without all the beautiful, bright, multitude of colors that you find when google-searching mantis shrimp).

Also, the false squillae seem to act differently when I've come across them. They seem to dart about all over, whilst these (mantis shrimp?) seem to have their little cave and sort of a smaller, semi-regular route that they deal with. They also strike me as being less shy about posing for photos than the falsies. Could be wrong.

Then, of course, there's the much larger (and, to me, cooler) scaly-tailed mantis, most often seen with his face and shoulders just filling the top of his perfectly round, two inch hole in the sand.

Brenda - I think a false squilla (Human & Deloach Reef Creature pg 237)

Here are some pics from yesterday's dawn dive. It was still a little dark when we saw the Butterfly Ray. But as the sun came up the lighting was perfect!

View attachment 157688

Had a great 2+ hour dive this morning. Found the striated FF's. yellow SH, snake eel, garden eels, several pipefish, octos, etc. Very, very nice dive. Vis about 20ish. pics to come soon.

See ya'll tonight!

snake eel? No such thing...

Apparently.. :blinky:
Sorry.. I see all too many times the sharptail eel incorrectly referred to as a snake eel..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom