Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also Wade's Page on BHB but I'd say Cooltech's is the best, even if his priorities are all messed up currently.....
Also if some more forum savvy member could provide a link you could go through all the old Blue Heron Bridge threads prior to the new Trolls thread, but pack a lunch.
I found it very helpful to see pictures of critters found at the bridge I might have never guessed where there and you can learn a lot.

While I can agree with you.. just what is a time limit??? It's not the casual observer that seems to be the problem, its the big hunkin rig camera divers that are. They seem to lay claim on the critters and will NOT let others look, shoot, etc. True story. End of last year there was a mated pair of seahorses that seemed like everybody knew about. We actually rushed to get to them before the big cameras because we knew if they beat us there, we wouldn't be able to even look at them. One time, we got there late. (I have a rinky dink little camera.) After waiting 10 minutes patiently, I finally asked the photog if I could take a photo. He did say Ok, and I was on my way in minutes. But if I hadn't asked, he would have just kept on taking photos. Sometimes I think the bigger the camera, the smaller the courtesy brain cell. How's that go? Big camera no brains? LOL

I agree this is happening, and it is wrong. Sharing needs to be observed at a public resource like BHB.
We have a number of photographers that do not play well with others, and up till now, they have seemed "proud of this". I am not sure this dissension apparent now, will have them re-thinking any of this.....When people believe something is their right, they won't let go of it easily.

I think more attention to this may slowly create "cultural change" :)

This is not the first thread I have ever read about someone hogging a find. I have always felt that the person that made the find can hog it as long as they want, regardless if they are taking photos or not. If someone makes a find, then all others should take turns after the person that found it is done. If you don't want to wait swim on.

Sometimes I have my camera and sometimes I don't. I usually drag behind the group a bit and find my own critters. Part of the reason I do that is because the group has scared off whatever it was they found, or mucked the viz anyway. It bugs me when someone swims a distance to see what I am taking pictures of, and then expects me to get out of their way. I usually will back away and let them in.

The courtesy thing needs to work both ways.

This is not the first thread I have ever read about someone hogging a find. I have always felt that the person that made the find can hog it as long as they want, regardless if they are taking photos or not. If someone makes a find, then all others should take turns after the person that found it is done. If you don't want to wait swim on.

Sometimes I have my camera and sometimes I don't. I usually drag behind the group a bit and find my own critters. Part of the reason I do that is because the group has scared off whatever it was they found, or mucked the viz anyway. It bugs me when someone swims a distance to see what I am taking pictures of, and then expects me to get out of their way. I usually will back away and let them in.

The courtesy thing needs to work both ways.

The BHB is kind of a "find" in itself....except alot of people have already found it. :)
Once there, there are a series of places those in the know, can look for specific life. There is timing and luck, and when you find yourself there first, for something cool, I would say enjoy your find....when you suddenly realize there are a half a dozen photographers waiting patiently for a turn, I would normally think 10 to 15 minutes would be pretty maximal without being a "hog". Exceptions exist of course, like when you find a pregnant sea horse about to give birth. But that does not come up every day, and pretty much every photographer would understand this is for the person who found it.

Maybe some kind of huge poll everyone could weigh in on ?

I think the subject has been covered.
Well put Semo, if people extended the same courtesy they would like to get it would be a non issue.
Lets get back on track with some pictures.
Dan is Sandra posting any or will I have to wait for the next issue????
:D

I think the subject has been covered.
Well put Semo, if people extended the same courtesy they would like to get it would be a non issue.
Lets get back on track with some pictures.
Dan is Sandra posting any or will I have to wait for the next issue????
:D
She has some cool stuff from the last week ....I can get her to export some of her new favorites that she would like to put out on SB :)

Sweet

I would love it, her picture are great.
Here are a couple oldies to get things back on track:D:D:D

DSC_1423.jpg

DSC_3109.jpg

Weirdest critter below
PC230005.jpg

Reminder, webinar from REEF tonight at 8pm on observing fish mating (PG) for those who haven't seen Steve in action:D

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/693755710/106886321

If someone can post a better link....

Speed Dating Fishy Style: How Fish Spawn and When You're Likely to Catch Them in the Act

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:00 PM - 9:05 PM EDT

- Show in my Time Zone
Webinar Registration

NOTE THE START TIME is 8pm Eastern. Your time zone may vary - so adjust accordingly!

Learn all about fish spawning from world-renowned marine life photographer/author, fish behavior guru, Co-Founder of REEF and all around nice guy Ned DeLoach. This should help make your dives even MORE interesting than they already are! Q&A session to follow.
* First Name:

* Last Name:

* Email Address:
qmark.gif

* City:

* State/Province:
Choose one... Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Puerto Rico Virgin Islands Guam Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon Other
Organization:

Webinar organizers are prohibited from soliciting confidential personal information (credit card information, social security numbers, etc.) in the registration form. This questionnaire is not intended to handle sensitive data.
* REEF Member number (http://www.reef.org/user/register/member):

* Are you a new REEF member?:
Choose one... Yes No

* Indicates a required field
By clicking the "Register Now" button you submit your information to the Webinar organizer, who will use it to communicate with you regarding this event and their other services.
View system requirements

Your email address and personal information will be used by the Webinar organizer to communicate with you about this event and their other services. To review the Webinar organizer's privacy policy or opt out of their other communications, contact the Webinar organizer directly.
Safeguarding your email address and Webinar registration information is taken seriously at GoToWebinar. GoToWebinar will not sell or rent this information.
View the GoToWebinar Privacy Policy.

I jumped on.. but then I became you, and logged off. :wink:

LOL. At least one of us would have seen it!
Got tied up and guess I will have till tomorrow when it posts to reef.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom