Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last dive there I observed someone laying flat on the bottom flipping over rocks to look for nudies.
Worse, he was with some folks I see there regularly. The silt storm and behavior were discouraging.
I've also run into some photogs that think they own a subject and no amount of patience would get you a turn. Lucky for me the video can be a bit more forgiving to silt and distance, also I will make my own turn if the golden rule fails....

On the other side of the coin I've run into some folks with excellent skills, super keen eyes and the willingness to share the wonders.

Just tend to remember the first group more somehow
:D:D:D

I will place a knee down or fin tips carefully when I need to but always try to be conscious of the "whos in who-ville" factor

Now more great pictures, IT's ALL I'VE GOT TILL I FINISH MORE EDITING....

Is there a group or something for a night dive here, I would like to dive anyday, I'm DIR trained, meaning I will not destroy the place, actually, not sure I would like to go with a big group, don't wanna take part on the post above mention.
Where is the best ressource for info on tides and times to dive the place? tahnks

I've also run into some photogs that think they own a subject and no amount of patience would get you a turn. Lucky for me the video can be a bit more forgiving to silt and distance, also I will make my own turn if the golden rule fails....

What a strange concept, if someone is enjoying watching something underwater, there is a time limit where they have to move on, so someone else can look at it. Move over, it's my turn.

I would be very upset if someone crowded me while I was looking at something because they thought they were entitled to photograph it and I was looking at it too long. Imagine that, diving has come down to time limits that you are allowed to watch a critter. Move out of my way I HAVE to photograph that!

You photog's sure are a cantankerous.
:confused::shakehead:

We never hear any stories about tropical marine life collectors getting in disputes with each other at that site.:D

Reactions: Ana
What a strange concept, if someone is enjoying watching something underwater, there is a time limit where they have to move on, so someone else can look at it. Move over, it's my turn.

I would be very upset if someone crowded me while I was looking at something because they thought they were entitled to photograph it and I was looking at it too long. Imagine that, diving has come down to time limits that you are allowed to watch a critter. Move out of my way I HAVE to photograph that!
Wow!
To be honest, I haven't been following the thread for a bit, but what I am reading here disturbs me.

Reading this leaves me with the feeling that common courtesy ends at the water line. When people take a picture above the water line, most people attempt to avoid ruining their shot. Additionally, most (including myself) will look at what we want to look at and move aside for someone who wants to take a picture of it.

On the other hand, when I am snapping pictures above the water line, I extend the common courtesy of taking a few pictures and moving to the side to allow others to take pictures or look at the subject of my photography. If I haven't gotten the shot I want, I will courteously wait for them to get their fill of the subject (all the while expecting them to be courteous right back) and then allow me back in to take more pictures.

There is a time limit (unspoken, but realized) above the water line where people feel they are monopolizing the subject. In most cases, they extend the courtesy to others. In most below the water line, people have the same, unspoken time limit when others want to view or take pictures of the subject they are enjoying.

But, reading this post left me with the feeling that some people do not recognize common courtesy below the water line.

If I didn't know DennisS better, that is what I would infer from the wording of the post. But, knowing him better than that, I would like a clarification for what you mean, please. I might be much more inclined to agree with the thought.

I have to agree with Joannie, my point that I guess Dennis missed was some people feel they somehow "own it" and coutesy goes out the window. I'm not asking anyone to move on but would hope after 100 or so pictures I might be allowed to take one. I've seen Steve patiently waiting out that special moment of breeding and give him space for his opportunity (humbling to watch).
But the flip side is on the day in question I watched some photogs taking pictures of some mating crabs that were scuttling around and I gave them a wide berth, approx. 30 minutes later I see the crabs coming towards me where I was filming a pair of nudies so I turned and started filming the approach for the "long shot". At this point I became a aware of one of the original group in hot pursuit strobes blazing, he trashed the bottom on arrival and waved angrily at me. I figured I must be missing something and backed away where he went on firing away. When it came time for me to move again or be trampled I gestured I would like to shoot some video and he actually pushed me out of the way.
I felt enough was enough and shoved back, took my whoping 10 seconds of video and swam on but the incident left me angry for the rest of the dive. Most trips I've taken people are no less driven but understand everyone would like a chance to take a picture.
Courtesy makes all the difference.
Off soapbox....
John

Man! I never knew macro photographers were such bad asses.

While I can agree with you.. just what is a time limit??? It's not the casual observer that seems to be the problem, its the big hunkin rig camera divers that are. They seem to lay claim on the critters and will NOT let others look, shoot, etc. True story. End of last year there was a mated pair of seahorses that seemed like everybody knew about. We actually rushed to get to them before the big cameras because we knew if they beat us there, we wouldn't be able to even look at them. One time, we got there late. (I have a rinky dink little camera.) After waiting 10 minutes patiently, I finally asked the photog if I could take a photo. He did say Ok, and I was on my way in minutes. But if I hadn't asked, he would have just kept on taking photos. Sometimes I think the bigger the camera, the smaller the courtesy brain cell. How's that go? Big camera no brains? LOL

Man! I never knew macro photographers were such bad asses.

You should see when they catch somebody collecting:D

Well, I should add to my earlier post, I am NOT a photographer, nor a videographer, I DO NOT carry any type camera at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom