Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I mention that the viz really opened up for saturday mornings dive. Probably the best it has been in
a month or so. As for the water temps friday night they actually were one degree warmer than the morning
water temps. I showed 78F for the night dive and 77F for the morning dive. Viz was at least 40 ft saturday morning
and very comfortable in my 3mm full and 3mm beanie. Maybe now I can put away the hooded vest, let's hope !

---------- Post added May 5th, 2012 at 06:34 PM ----------

Bill, This is a great photo. I have never gotten one with so much color. I have only seen 3 key worms eels great find
Deb

Thank you. I'm pretty sure he was sleeping when I snuck up and took the shot. As to the worm eel, he was my first, and I actually thought he was a garden eel gone walkabout until I got him on the computer screen and dug out my ID book.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 10:42 AM ----------

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

bill, nice tongue fish!!!

Thank you. If it hadn't been for a BB&J posting a while back, I wouldn't have known what it was !!

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 12:00 PM ----------

I may be mistaken, but it seems that ettiquette and a desire for a positive reponse or outcome to such a 1:1 or personal issue with another diver would call for a private message or other form of direct communication rather than in a public forum. I for one would appreciate it if such discussion (and response) aimed at a particular diver were confined to private messaging. It is uncomfortable enough to here everyone's cellphone conversations in public places. It would be nice to keep the content of a forum like this one for sharing experiences, community concerns, and general tips. I hope I have not offended anyone with this suggestion.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I speak to someone privately first and then feel they've tromped on me afterwards, the next call out might very well be in front of the entire group.

Just sayin'.

But then, nobody's ever accused me of being refined.

Last edited:
\
Now a message about my dive. Besides the very strong current I had a diver come between me & my dive buddies & more importantly scare away my photo subjects....
Deb

At the BHB waivers are given to the experts. They are not expected to adhere to the same code they preach. It's a do as I say not as I do kind of place. I'm sure your apology will be accepted.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 08:38 AM ----------

Deb,
I had been asked to accompany a group from a Dive shop out of Atlanta...

I'm not sure what you mean by accompany, but from you post it seems like you functioning in the capacity of a Dive Master. Tweleve seems like a lot of people to watch at night, especially with new divers unfamiliar with the dive site. I am also surprised didn't provide a way to identify the members of your group underwater, especially when you know there will be other divers in the area.

I'm not sure what you mean by accompany, but from you post it seems like you functioning in the capacity of a Dive Master. Tweleve seems like a lot of people to watch at night, especially with new divers unfamiliar with the dive site. I am also surprised didn't provide a way to identify the members of your group underwater, especially when you know there will be other divers in the area.

It was a shop from out of town, with instructors and a DM. Very cool people, they had heard a great deal about BHB and Palm Beach diving, and they had traveled here to find out personally. They were staying at the Hilton, and diving with Pura vida's boat for their ocean dives.. None had ever been on the West side of BHB, and I believe 2 had been on the East side once before.
Pura vida asked me to help them find the nudibranchs and decorator crabs and octopuses and batfish or frogfish, which a diver unfamiliar with BHB would have difficulty knowing where to look for. Sandra was helping as well. There were some very seasoned divers in this group and a few that were fairly new, but all were competent. They did a much better job of not silting than many of the photographers involved in this thread. None crawled around like Billy goats on top of the hydroid forest. Just Sayin. They were the perfect guests for us to have visiting here, and only good interactions ensued for each of them'

The bad blood going on is between some regulars and me.

We have regulars that get their bearings messed up, and wind up in the nav channel almost weekly. I was at BHB this night dive, to prevent that with our new guests. I was there for pointing out life, and I was there so that any who were low on air near dive end, and/ or that needed to easily find their way back in, could have my help if they wanted it. This was the concern that had me intersecting into being near Deb around 90 minutes into the night dive.

1. It was a night dive, meaning you can't see people for a long distance, and when they scatter, it gets hard to track who is where.
  2. So many divers were in the East side and central, that their silting behaviors had dropped the 40 foot vis at dive start to more like 15 foot vis 90 minutes in. So if someone swam out of view, to re-ID them, you need to be close.....
  3. For people you don't really know, being sure of an ID is not really feasible much of the time....and for many divers, even ones you do know, they just don't have a distinguishing look underwater, and it is very hard to be sure who you are looking at.
  4. If I am concerned for the welfare of a diver from out of town, and any chance they could be low on air, and may need help finding the beach, I am going to say this will trump one minute of a photographer's time ( the scenario we are discussing) every time. I am shocked at the pettiness of this as a continuing discussion, once I made it clear what was going on. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ONE MINUTE OF TIME, MAXIMUM, OUT OF SOMEONE'S 2 OR 3 HOUR LONG DIVE...REALLY!!!!!
  5. Photographers and videographers involved in shooting at the BHb, during high volume diving times, have zero business expecting not to have divers near them. That goes for Sandra and Me, and Deb, and all the others in this thread. If any of us want solitude, we need to show up on a weekday when no one is around, or go out to a macro site miles off shore, where you really are all alone.
  6. Diving is taught as a social sport. Divers dive with buddies and groups. They are not taught to avoid other divers. Clearly they are not supposed to trample other divers. I did not trample anyone. I also did not crawl along the bottom -- as is becoming more and more customary for the photographers that think they have rights far beyond all other divers.
  7. How is it not presumptuous for a photographer to feel they have some right above all other divers in the Park, regarding the area they are shooting in... This is not to say I am not willing to respect this zone of selfishness they demand. I am saying how am I supposed to know who each of the divers with a ZONE OF SELFISHNESS around them is, and how big this zone is...On some macro photographers, the ZONE is over 20 feet around! In other photographers, the many who have no vestige of this Selfish Zone in their body, their personal space needed is just so that their camera is not kicked, and their subject not scared away---and these photographers realize that when they are shooting inside an area filled with 50 people, that they are going to have subjects scared away....And this won't bother them, because they chose to be there durring a high traffic time. I think this is the majority of photographers at the park. Apparently you represent the much smaller segment that believes it has special rights.

For the record, this is how I feel about things. Sandra does not really care about the divers around her, and she would never want me to say anything negative about any of the photographer behaviors at the BHB. I don't think she thinks about it at all. She just wants to take pictures and have fun.

Reck Diver, if you want this situation to get better, rather than just stirring the pot, get a some people together for a meeting in person at BHB, to discuss the real issues. Scubaboard and this thread is probably a very bad place for this....IT makes photographers look self interested, petty, and ultimately bad for the ecosystem. So really, this should be a private discussion. I would not have chosen to put it here, but I won't ignore something like this when posted.

And as far as divers needing special clothing for ID'ing, it is the photographers that want the huge zone of selfishness around them that should be wearing the unique or club type outfits, as they are the only people that need to be avoided at all costs. All the other divers are social, and enjoying everything about the diving.

It is NOT all photographers that want this huge exclusionary zone....Many pro level shooters at the Park like to share their finds with others, throughout the dive. Most photographers are happy sharing. We have a few that want to find something and hide it from all others, have it to themselves, and to have all others stay far away. I guess they need their own club.

Last edited:
Another epic dive at the bridge. I would like to say kudos to the instructor with a Single student doing skills review out in the sandy area AWAY from others and the rubbly, live bottom nearer to the bridge. Good job!! But then there were the two doofus' who took their fins off to play rocket man in that same live bottom area. :shakehead: Now, I am not about not having a good time.. and I've played rocketwoman plenty of times.. on sandy ocean bottom.. C'mon guys, think about your actions, please.

Ok, about that epic dive... tiny little green fishes, I think juvi trumpetfish or cornetfish. May need an ID, 5 different kinds of nudis, lots of octos that didn't want to play, a big ole one out in the rubble, no lionfish (I think that one that eluded me twice has been sent to lionfish heaven), and good buddies to make it all worth while. Nice to share the good stuff with friends.

It was a busy morning at the bridge today. But amongst the crowd it was nice to see old familiar faces back from winter's hibernation. Welcome back!! Water temp 77, vis easily 30 ft, maybe more.

SGJ and I spent pretty much our entire dive in one little area I'll call the sweet spot. Octopuses, including a "not fighting" pair (what can I say?!?) jawfish, spotted eagle ray, plus the usual. In getting from point A to B we also happened upon a beautiful black seahorse and a stargazer. Another OILT (once in a lifetime) dive.

in the middle of nowhere
5-73.jpg

5-74.jpg

5-76.jpg

chinga chinga
5-78.jpg

"toe-curling" good?
5-79.jpg

It was a busy morning at the bridge today. But amongst the crowd it was nice to see old familiar faces back from winter's hibernation. Welcome back!! Water temp 77, vis easily 30 ft, maybe more.

SGJ and I spent pretty much our entire dive in one little area I'll call the sweet spot. Octopuses, including a "not fighting" pair (what can I say?!?)

You *sure* they weren't fighting?? I guess I may just be a bit naive. :D

Curious about that stargazer. Did you find him out on top like that?

Love the pics.

Kevin

Just got back from my trip to FL with my brother. We did BHB twice; We did the West side on Tuesday afternoon and the East side Friday night. We didn't see the hoped for octopi (which I had seen no less than six of my previous trip) but did see a bunch of other cool things. I saw what I thought was a flying gunard, which turned out to be a leopard searobin, a batfish (shortnose I think) some very cool crab things, some lobster, a whole passle of flounder and a bunch of other cool things I have no idea how to ID. On Tuesday there was a large-ish ray right after the dive swimming under the cleaning station by the restroom and on Friday a small one we saw in the water.

Tuesday we had the place nearly to ourselves but Friday we were in the swarm. I was disappointed to see so many people sitting or kneeling on the bottom while taking pictures. We skipped several notable sites (and probably missed several notable sights) because of all the silt being kicked up. Still, we both enjoyed both dives immensely.

Pics aren't as high quality as the ones most of you regulars take but here are some of mine. Taken with a Sealife DC1200 with no strobes.

Attachments

• PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PICT0055.jpg
    PICT0055.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0058.jpg
    PICT0058.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 79
  • PICT0062.jpg
    PICT0062.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT0063.jpg
    PICT0063.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 75
  • PICT0066.jpg
    PICT0066.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0077.jpg
    PICT0077.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 71
  • PICT0090.jpg
    PICT0090.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 90
You *sure* they weren't fighting?? I guess I may just be a bit naive. :D

Curious about that stargazer. Did you find him out on top like that?

Love the pics.

Kevin

Thanks Kev. Wikipedia "octopus reproduction" These two were definitely not fighting! The stargazer (which Fisheye thinks is a southern) was half buried when we came upon it. All I could see was a little patch of brown w/ white polka dots. But as we watched he popped up and swam just a couple yards away. And then settled down again on top. Usually they're pretty shy and take off but this guy seemed more than happy to pose for photos.

p.s. Much fuss has been made about the collecting of critters, especially sea horses, at BHB. And we all know that happens. But equally tragic is the behavior SGJ and I witnessed yesterday: someone dragging their fins across fragile habitat. Even after we screamed, and pointed out the sea horse literally under her feet, she didn't try to lift her fins or raise herself in the water column. Instead gave us the finger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom