Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thanks for creating this great resource it has been super helpful.
I have really enjoyed your photos.
That said I would prefer to keep it low key like this forum
I would not be adverse to joining a club but beyond dues I am too busy to commit to much more.
Dan could clarify but I thought anyone could put in for a night dive permit if they signed off on the liability.
John

I did some research on this a couple years ago for my [-]drinking[/-] dive club. If I remember correctly, anyone can pull a permit. You need to have $1 million liability insurance naming WPB park district. And you need a DM on shore the whole time divers are in the water. You also have to be out of the park by 10pm (as always).

Since Force E and some of the other dive shops already have all of this in place I didn't pursue it any further.

Following Jim's example here is a photo I took back in Feb.
seahorse.jpg

Okay, so I didn't post yesterday (Wed photos) because I only managed to process one photo. One of those zen moments underwater. It'll have to wait a few weeks to protect the innocent. Three photographers were shooting at the same time - sure wish I had thought about recording it in video, but it all happened so fast ... Should be a few more sea horses in a few weeks.

Last day of my trip to BHB was yesterday (Thursday). Close to 3 hours - nice leisurely dive. Here are a few highlights. Lionfish is still parked under the hull.

Kevin: flipped a few more urchins - found another shrimp, but like yesterday, it was uncooperative. Include one shot for posterity.

Lots of fry in the water and the damsels - especially sargent majors - are active producing the next generation. Maroon patches everywhere.

Until next year...

Attachments

• FL_120329_BHB_2975.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_2975.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
  • FL_120329_BHB_2979.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_2979.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 92
  • FL_120329_BHB_2987.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_2987.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 72
  • FL_120329_BHB_2992.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_2992.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 77
  • FL_120329_BHB_3011.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3011.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 72
  • FL_120329_BHB_3023.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 69
  • FL_120329_BHB_3024.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3024.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 70
  • FL_120329_BHB_3035.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3035.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 70
  • FL_120329_BHB_3040.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3040.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 66
  • FL_120329_BHB_3044.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3044.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 72
  • FL_120329_BHB_3045.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3045.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 69
  • FL_120329_BHB_3060.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3060.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 65
  • FL_120329_BHB_3068.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3068.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 74
  • FL_120329_BHB_3078.jpg
    FL_120329_BHB_3078.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 79
Jet
That is interesting.
I was told by Laz if we dove the bridge with him at night from the park we did not need a permit.
Maybe he has a million??? Insurance policy thru someone else.
Lucky for us we can do it from our boat any night and with a lot less folks unless Force E is also there....
John

Lionfish is still parked under the hull.

And again today on the lionfish. Had a new buddy so we kept it kinda low key and just observed.

spotted eagle ray, octopus, something I didn't see (rhymes with wee horse) and can't say where I didn't see it, and a list of the other
usual suspects. 77F on the temps and an easy 40 on the viz. Just over 90 minutes.

Some good video woulda been the two of us tumbling over each other, drifting in the current and stirring up the silt. :D I don't need no stinkin releases. . .

Kevin

OK, ask and thee shall receive.
You are now a celebrity:D
Enjoy.

Juvenile Trumpet fish adopts me on Vimeo
[/QUOTE]

Most excellent!

sorry will repost my reply to Bimini...

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Jet
That is interesting.
I was told by Laz if we dove the bridge with him at night from the park we did not need a permit.
Lucky for us we can do it from our boat any night and with a lot less folks unless Force E is also there....
John

It is my understanding that the park is closed ar sunset and you must have a permit to dive after dark. I know cars have been towed from there and divers can be ticketed.
I would opt for a dive with one of the LDSs...then you know that the police patrolling the parking area are looking out for you and not looking AT you with ticket book in hand.
I'm not sure why Laz thinks it is ok without a permit, maybe he has one?

Jet
That is interesting.
John

You got me trying to recall the details so I dug around in old emails until I found what I was looking for. This exchange was two years ago so it's possible things have changed since then. After the "Baby Daddy Debacle" last March I sort of lost my taste for night dives and haven't paid much attention since.

Here is the email from the West Palm Beach park district:

Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 1:44 PM
Subject: RE: Dive club night dive at Blue Heron Bridge

Hi Joanie,

There are a couple of ways we can go. So far we have been permitting only Dive Shops; no clubs have applied. We certainly could do this in conjunction with a shop that already has a permit or we could expand the program to include clubs as long as they meet the same insurance, liability and other concerns which we have for shops. I should have an answer early next week. I’ll get back to you as soon as I get direction. Thanks.

John

John Wildner
Palm Beach County
Parks and Recreation Department
Finance and Support Services Division
561-963-6707

And what I must have found out later (part of my email to my dive club president):

In order to get a permit, the West Palm Beach park district requires a dive master to oversee all divers and also a $1M insurance policy naming them. If you do not have a permit you cannot park at PhilFosterPark after sunset (you will be ticketed and towed). If you do obtain a permit, you must still be out of the park by 10:00pm.

If you do not have a permit you cannot park at PhilFosterPark after sunset (you will be ticketed and towed). If you do obtain a permit, you must still be out of the park by 10:00pm.

This is the part that is a little unclear. I was there well after sunset fishing a couple weeks ago, just something to do.
Anyway, there were a number of others there and a patrol car was very present. Is there a chance that parking may be
allowed until the park closes but no one allowed on the beach after sunset ?

This is the part that is a little unclear. I was there well after sunset fishing a couple weeks ago, just something to do.
Anyway, there were a number of others there and a patrol car was very present. Is there a chance that parking may be
allowed until the park closes but no one allowed on the beach after sunset ?

Diving is permitted from sunrise to sunset outside of the guarded swimming area. For information on how to obtain a permit for group night dives, call (561) 963-6707.

VAGRANCY
Phil Foster Park is open for public use from sunrise to sunset with the exception of the boat ramps that are open to the public 24-Hours a day. After hours, the only patrons permitted in the park are those launching or retrieving their vessel from the boat ramps. All others in the park after hours will be considered trespassing and subject to enforcement action.

here is a good link: Harvesting of Tropical Fish

Look for more info from the menu on the left

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom