Blowing Tank Air on a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave your dust caps on the boat. Why anybody would take them diving is beyond me. Unnecessary stuff dangling around your kit.
How, would you do that? Do you cut them off of your 1st stages as pretty much every reg I see when out diving has the dust cap permanently attached/tethered?

How, would you do that? Do you cut them off of your 1st stages as pretty much every reg I see when out diving has the dust cap permanently attached/tethered?
I've got DIN regs. Nothing is attached or tethered. After setting up my kit, I screw my tank dust cap and reg dust cap together and throw them in my drybag.
If I'd be diving yoke, I would have removed the rubber cap.

I hated the need to dry them, so I removed the DIN protectors and replaced with aluminum caps that I leave on shore or on the boat with my glasses. No more need to blow air or dry covers. I also removed the tank dust covers and use stainless DIN plugs on my tanks. Again, removed the dust covers that just filled with water and made the BC change a pain in the ars.

I've got DIN regs. Nothing is attached or tethered. After setting up my kit, I screw my tank dust cap and reg dust cap together and throw them in my drybag.
If I'd be diving yoke, I would have removed the rubber cap.
I have Atomic Yoke and DIN - both have attached covers. I just blow them off with my mouth and/or dry with a towel, if handy.

No issue with them at all and I prefer them to be attached so as not to easily lose them and also to have them immediately handy to attach post dive or when changing tanks between dives.

As per the reg manufacturer instructions...

"After the dive, blow all water out of the dust cap with clean dry air and place the cap securely
on the regulator inlet. On multiple tank dives, use great care to keep salt water out of the
regulator inlet when tanks are changed. Neglecting these simple procedures is the greatest
cause of corrosion and wear in scuba regulators."

I have Atomic Yoke and DIN - both have attached covers. I just blow them off with my mouth and dry with a towel, if handy.

No issue with them at all and I prefer them to be attached so as not to easily lose them and also to have them immediately handy to attach post dive or when changing tanks between dives.
To each their own. Never lost my DIN plugs. When switching tanks, the tank plug goes from one tank to the other. After the second dive I take my screwed together plugs from my drybag before I disconnect my reg.

As per the reg manufacturer instructions...

"After the dive, blow all water out of the dust cap with clean dry air and place the cap securely
on the regulator inlet. On multiple tank dives, use great care to keep salt water out of the
regulator inlet when tanks are changed. Neglecting these simple procedures is the greatest
cause of corrosion and wear in scuba regulators."
Do you carry a humidity sensor to verify air in tank is dry? What is the allowed humidity percentage of air to blow out dust cap?

Do you carry a humidity sensor to verify air in tank is dry? What is the allowed humidity percentage of air to blow out dust cap?
scuba air is dry, dont chca no? I can't understand why they make a cap with a recess that holds water. It should just be a simple sphere?

scuba air is dry, dont chca no? I can't understand why they make a cap with a recess that holds water. It should just be a simple sphere?
I don't understand why they still make yoke style regs. I think that recess is needed to make somewhat of a seal.

Back
Top Bottom