Blowing Tank Air on a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the tail of a dry T-shirt after the dive. Actually, I much prefer the air blasters to the idiots who spray sunscreen over everyone and everything,

I just think it's a quaint very outdated habit, like having a landline or an outhouse.
Some people who live off the grid still use outhouses. Composting toilets are actually a very environmentally responsible way to deal with human waste. Flushing a cup of urine down a toilet with a few gallons of fresh water is actually becoming outdated.

If i were going to blow air on my regulator I would use an air gun attachment connected to the LP inflator hose and blow the water of before I disconnected the regulator from the tank.

People who blow off the reg after disconnecting from the tank, using the tank air, are most likely blowing water into the regulator.

Got no dust don't use dustcaps nothing to blow

the noise can be reduced if you hold the cap really tight against the tank. only if you hold the cap and leave a gap between, then it is really loud.

One staff member on a LOB I was on wore hearing protection to avoid that noise... Too many people open it too far and it's seriously deafening...

I don't like the noise either. It's disruptive. A tank pushing out air has everyone on the boat stop what they're doing, thinking or talking about. Leave your dust caps on the boat. Why anybody would take them diving is beyond me. Unnecessary stuff dangling around your kit.

Honestly, I don’t know why people blow air from their tanks. In between dives when I need a fill I undo the reg and hang it so that the air inlet is pointing down. No sea water ever gets in. The dust cap never goes back on until it’s cleaned of salt water/salt crystals. When I pack up for the day I leave the reg attached to my tank and haul everything home pressurized or up to the wash station at the dock pressurized. I don’t disasseble it until the reg is clean and dried.
So I don’t get it, but to each their own. Air blasts don’t bother me because I’m half deaf anyway from working in body shops for years and other shop environments, plus freediving, plus scuba diving, so blast away.

Back
Top Bottom