Blindly trust computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of us lack the basic terror of passing through an NDL.

Math:
I wanna dive to 117 feet. How long is too long?

222,222/(117)(117) = 16 minutes.
Wait but there's parenthesis as punctuation ahhhhhhhhhhhh

So when someone drives into a pond because Siri says there's a road there, that's because they failed basic math?

Not necessarily a cause & effect, but there does seem to be a correlation,

You may be right, but that suit sounds like the epitome of frivolous suits. It relied almost exclusively on those bizarre California-only laws that give the state a bad name in the rest of the union. At least according to the complaint that was linked in the article you provided.

I don't think understanding dive planning for a basic diver is a bad thing, it should be taught in OW class. Having learned on tables then switched to computers, I'm not sure the table knowledge does much for me.

I think there is enough anecdotal support that suunto does have an abnormally higher pressure sensor failure rate compared to other brands though.

If you need another example, try this one:

60 ft depth 50 minutes (my table has 55 min as NDL)

or

110 ft depth 25 minutes & 10 ft depth 25 minutes

Both dives have an average depth of 60 feet for 50 minutes. At least on my table, the first one is a no-deco dive and the second one is not.

Even on this extreme and absurd example, you end up with a 1min stop at 30ft...

PRETTY FRICKIN CLOSE!

So you ran out of depth/time combos so you had to move well past the max depth for ow Divers.

I’m amused.

Not necessarily a cause & effect, but there does seem to be a correlation,

:rofl3: Point taken.

I think the only useful thing in all that is the last sentence in the write-up: they're going to make a "how to identify sensor failures" tutorial. That is what a computer-oriented OW course should teach and mine, at least, didn't.

I think there is enough anecdotal support that suunto does have an abnormally higher pressure sensor failure rate compared to other brands though.

Or there's an abnormally higher number of suunto users out there.

You're looking at it all wrong. On the second dive you are in a deco dive after 16 minutes. After spending 15 minutes at 10 feet, you are no longer in deco. It works out the same as the first dive.

Depends what you're looking for.

I will admit that there are people who have incurred a deco obligation, satisfied it, and survived. In fact, I'm sure it's happened more than a few times.

But the original suggestion of using average depth was that planning a no-deco dive comes out the same. It's not.

There are a lot of divers that have not had deco training. The fact is that while all deco and no-deco dives go just fine when everything goes according to plan, we train for those rare times when something goes sideways.

If you're going to suggest that a diver that has had only OW training should be encouraged to plan dives that incur a deco obligation as long as their plan includes enough time at a shallow depth to clear that obligation... I'm going to respectfully disagree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom