Black cloud over my house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dive buddy and I did 2 dives Saturday, 2 dives Sunday. 1st dive of each day was past 100 feet. 1st dive of 2nd day was a deco dive with stops at 20'/3 minutes and 15'/13 minutes with 50% EANx. Both our computers said we were out of deco by the time we hit our first stop, but we did the stops anyway.

Buddy says he started to get knee joint pain after the deco time, but never said anything. We surfaced for a few minutes and went back down to 55 feet (dive #2). Buddy says pain stopped at this point. Buddy says pain did not return until this morning around 8am and has gotten worse ever since, only now spreads to the entire leg when he stands up, and goes back to just knee joint when he sits. I was thinking it was all in his head, but had him breath his deco gas sitting in his living room tonight and he reports as long as he is breathing the 50% deco gas the pain completely goes away??

Is this all in his head or is it possible that you can be asymtomatic for almost 12 hours then start to show symptoms?!

The zip file has the exported dives from Sunnto dive manager software. You can download, unzip, and import them into SDM.

Attachments

• dives.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 68
12 hours is on the outer edge of the window but possible.

I'm sure everyone is just itching to say it so let me be the first- CALL DAN 1-919-684-8111 or +1-919-684-4DAN (Collect)

12 hours is still well within the time for bends to appear. The fact that pain is releived with breathing of a high O2 mix is even a greater sign that he has taken a hit. I would be finding the nearest chamber ASAP.

Called DAN, Buddy is going first to local ER. As per on-call DAN person, if ER can't pin the pain on anything else, they'll be calling DAN back to coordinate the chamber ride.

Hope everything is OK with him- Good luck!

Buddy says he started to get knee joint pain after the deco time, but never said anything.
Is this all in his head or is it possible that you can be asymtomatic for almost 12 hours then start to show symptoms?!
Doesn't sound asymptomatic for 12 hours.

DiverDAN here... tc246 provided excellent advice above. Thank you!

DAN is always available to talk with divers who are experiencing symptoms, and I'm glad your buddy decided to call us and seek treatment.

Safe Diving

Update: To make a long story short, Buddy is being prept for a ride in the Chamber. I'm on my way to be with him now.

I'm still grasping for a reason why someone would hide the fact that their bent???

Buddy also happens to be my 18 y/o son.

Denial, far more common than you might think- Give him our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ok, I'm thinking my week, and more specifically, my son's week can't get any worse ( I hope).

I found out Friday morning I need my Gallbladder removed, and now I just get a call from the doctors office where my son went because of pain he neglected to mention after a deco dive Sunday. Guess what, Louis is takin a ride in the Orlando Chamber.:shakehead:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/da.../213755-can-you-bent-24-hours-after-dive.html

Soo, I'm on my way to Orlando, I'll keep you all posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom