Bill's diving rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought it was about peacocking yourself to the mermaids, and the fun came later :idk:

Can't argue with your first rule. It's certainly my focus in open water diver training!

My own first principle when starting advanced courses is . . .

Diving is safe, as long as you remember that diving is dangerous.

No doubt it's been said before.

Safety is way over rated.

N

Of course I have to wonder why anyone would take up an activity like SCUBA if they didn't think it was going to be fun.

Diving IS about having fun -- why else would we haul 75 pounds of gear into the water, over and over again?

However, I will still respectfully offer that better skills means more fun and more safety.

(Instructors take note.)

Rule 1) Diving is not about how many photos you make, how many skills you have, or how many dives you've done. First and foremost, diving is about having fun with your dive buddy / partner, and coming back safely.

Rule 2 & beyond) Everything else that everyone else has said.

- Bill
(Who wishes he had figured this out earlier.)

I agree it is supposed to be fun... about including a buddy.. for me that is optional.

To have fun, most people need to feel reasonably safe. I'm generally NOT having fun when a dive scares me, so I try to avoid those situations.

About all the other quantitative "metrics", those are only fun to chase if.. you find them fun to chase. It doesn't take a whole lot of planning, skills or logistics to do some shallow dives in 20 feet, but often I enjoy them more than a 180 ft dive where I am amped up, hyper cautious, narced, (a little scared) and I am operating under very tight time constraints and always worried that a shark may ruin my day (or tiny bubbles may attack my spinal cord).

A relaxing, easy, shallow dive can be fun and enjoyable..

You know...I get solo diving & have done a (very) little myself...but, for me, diving is a social activity. The time spent with my buddy getting to and from the dive site (3 hours round trip), and the shared experience of the dive, are a big part of why I dive.

Oh, and having someone to zip and unzip my back entry dry suit is handy too.

I almost always dive solo when I'm diving locally. However, I love going down to the dive park to socialize even on days when I'm not diving. Sharing is a fun part of the activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom