Big dilemma, should i sell my poseidon rig??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234:
tamas...how much would those hoses help underwater?

sorry, I don't follow? what do the hoses have to do with under water usage? he was complaining that having to buy spare/replacement hoses for the Poseidon's are expensive.....hence my response

Boogie711:
All I'm saying is that if this is the only gear 'mistake' you're going to make, consider yourself lucky. I did pretty good, but heck - I've cleared out two closets worth of stuff. Ebay is your friend.

I know the feeling...

Get rid of them and get some Apeks or Atomics or Scubapro or whatever.....

Have you already purchsed the mega-bling custom Poseidon hoses in the 'right' lengths?

jonnythan:
Get rid of them and get some Apeks or Atomics or Scubapro or whatever.....

Have you already purchsed the mega-bling custom Poseidon hoses in the 'right' lengths?

I would really like to know why you guys are sooooo against Poseidon regs?

Tamas:

Reading comprehension = "teh win"

RTodd:
The problems with parts and hoses alone prevents me from using these, but the second stages are also particularly problomatic. They are an upstream design and (with the qualifier that I am not familiar with the extreme) cannot be easily taken apart underwater to clean out debris. Since you are asking this in the DIR forum, the answer is to ditch the reg and to get an Apex.

Derek S:
Reading comprehension = "teh win"

Dyslexia = THE problem.

I am not sure how many of you actually seen the Xstreams, but the exhaust can be popped off quite easily to get access to the innards of the unit for cleaning and whatnot. As far as it using special hoses, why can't you carry a few spares with you if that could be a problem when diving in remote areas.

I just don't see the need for this poor fellow to sell an awesome piece of gear because people who know nothing of it tell him to. Waste of money if you ask me and the inability to think logically.

Poseidons are complex and expensive to maintain, require special hoses, upstream design (can fail closed), and, as I understand it, the cover cannot easily be removed *underwater* for cleaning. The problem with special hoses is not only the expense, it's that, should one in the field fail and you don't have a backup, you cannot share hoses amongst the team...think standardization! When everyone is diving the same (or at least equivalent and interchangeable) gear, a gear failure can usually be managed within the team and a dive saved.

The problem with upstream designs is that they are overly complex, thus more prone to failure, and can potentially freeze in the *closed* mode. Again, while I'm not familiar with the Xstream specifically, upstream regs in the past would also freeflow when they reached very low tank pressures since the little condom inside the second stage would no longer create a seal.

So, if you are interested in the DIR philosophy, sell them. Otherwise, if you can accept these faults and don't want to be DIR compliant, keep them.

Personally I would go ahead and get rid of them, take the loss, and get something that you won't have this problem again with. It'll make life simpler, because at some point you'll need/want to put another new set of hoses on it, and you'll be back to the mega-$$$ hoses.

IMHO, of course.

Tamas:
It may be that you and I don't belong posting in the DIR forum, since adherence to the crede is mandated, but I'll let the true believers attend to the discipline part of the issue...meanwhile, here's what's wrong with Poseiden regulators and why they shouldn't be used, DIR or otherwise:
  • Simple is good and Poseiden ain't. There are way too many little parts in their regulators which creates problems.
  • Reliable is good and Poseiden ain't. They are hard to tune, harder to keep tuned and, though they don't fall apart, the do break down.
  • Cheap is good and Poseiden ain't. They are expensive to purchase and even more expensive to maintain.
  • Standardized is good and Poseiden ain't. Special hoses, high IP's, and other "unique" features mean their pieces can't be easily (if at all) replaced or interchanged with "normal" parts.
  • Field stripable is good and Poseiden ain't. Disassembly of the second stage needs to be simple and effective.
Strictly speaking, I'm not DIR but I've worked on Poseidens and won't dive them, even though I'm mostly a cold-water diver. Their peak performance is terrific, but otherwise they are a mess. As soon as something goes wrong (and something always does with any mechanical device) you will be paying a huge downside price for a minor improvement in peak performance.

Falco:
There are some adapters out there that permit you to use a standard hose with your poseidon reg.

the potenial adaptor (coupling) is a potential failure point and ill advised

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom