Big dilemma, should i sell my poseidon rig??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
Yes, I'm aware of that fact. I use Scubapro Mk2 for deco tank but I plan to change it. However, I have better asccess to Apks spare parts. What would you recommend?

I can't help much there. I am slightly suprised about the access to Scubapro parts issue since it is generally the reverse. But, I do agree if you don't have access to Scubapro spare parts, don't use them. They have a finite life before overhaul the minute you get them wet. (Not trying to bash scubapro here, I have lots of Mk25/G250s, but they can be very frustrating regs.)

I have seen the Oceanic piston regs used with good success and I think some are starting to use the Atomics. I have seen one of the Oceanic regs spend 6 months in tannic water, come out with all of the chrome eaten off and still function. The reg was toast though. Both Oceanic and Atomic have what are effectively clones of the ScubaPro Mk10 (or maybe its predecessor I have never compared closely). I have heard that the Atomics may be less maintenance intensive than the SP but I can't confirm that. I would add the caveat that I am not up to date on either of these manufacturers lines.

I doubt either of these suggestions help your parts access issue though. If I absolutely had to use Apex for stages it would probably be DST/ TX50s.

RTodd:
As for the rebreather guys complaining the Apex don't hold up, this sounds like justification for a personal reg preference to me. Our back gas regs will go for hours without being touched when we are on stages without a hickup.

I don't agree.. Obviously they dont fail on a regular basis,but due to the long periods of time we do see it.. its even more aparant for another reason.. Your "back gas" regs will be used at depth, and then used for alot of the acsent until at some point you change to a deco/stage bottle.. RB divers almost never touch it on ascent, so our actual ip when we get "off" the reg (due to ambient pressure) is much higher than the diver who used it during an ascent.. so we dont get as much creep room before a reg burps (or other results) as does an OC diver..

Sometimes the creeping is'nt that bad and it eventually settles in an area that would still be acceptable for oc use, but like I allude to earlier, we also have a need where the ip MUST be lower than normal to function correctlyand alittle crrep is no good..

padiscubapro:
I don't agree.. Obviously they dont fail on a regular basis,but due to the long periods of time we do see it.. its even more aparant for another reason.. Your "back gas" regs will be used at depth, and then used for alot of the acsent until at some point you change to a deco/stage bottle.. RB divers almost never touch it on ascent, so our actual ip when we get "off" the reg (due to ambient pressure) is much higher than the diver who used it during an ascent.. so we dont get as much creep room before a reg burps (or other results) as does an OC diver..

Sometimes the creeping is'nt that bad and it eventually settles in an area that would still be acceptable for oc use, but like I allude to earlier, we also have a need where the ip MUST be lower than normal to function correctlyand alittle crrep is no good..

Uhm, no. On deep and/or long cave dives, back gas is often never touched. Some air is dumped into the wing on descent and depending on the profile during the dive. That is it. The IP on all of my regs is around 120.

RTodd:
Uhm, no. On deep and/or long cave dives, back gas is often never touched. Some air is dumped into the wing on descent and depending on the profile during the dive. That is it. The IP on all of my regs is around 120.
I think the scenario he's referring to is this: When you have 120 psig in an LP hose at 300 feet, and you never touch the reg, you will have over 200 psig in the hose at 30 feet. At 300 feet, 120 psig is 267 psia, and 267 psia at 33 feet is 237 psig. On a back gas reg, this doesn't matter because the second stage will just 'burp' out the pressure on ascent in a tiny bubble. I know nothing of rebreathers but the other poster seems to be implying that the burp part is a problem.

RTodd:
I doubt either of these suggestions help your parts access issue though. If I absolutely had to use Apex for stages it would probably be DST/ TX50s.
Thanks, that was what I originally planned to do.

jonnythan:
I think the scenario he's referring to is this: When you have 120 psig in an LP hose at 300 feet, and you never touch the reg, you will have over 200 psig in the hose at 30 feet. At 300 feet, 120 psig is 267 psia, and 267 psia at 33 feet is 237 psig. On a back gas reg, this doesn't matter because the second stage will just 'burp' out the pressure on ascent in a tiny bubble. I know nothing of rebreathers but the other poster seems to be implying that the burp part is a problem.

Any reg out there has this issue. And, using a proper DIR rebreather (almost, but not quite, an oxymoron), this would never be an issue. I can think of easy ways to make this issue go away with the toy breathers too, but I don't really care what those guys do. I was purely rebuffing that the regs don't hold up well when at low IPs and not being used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom