Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had and used a lot of different computers over the years. Most were nice instruments but the two i use now are overall the best i've ever had. I use a Vytec and Stinger almost exclusively, both have probably 300-400 dives on them with with no issue to date except for normal maintenance. I know a lot of other divers using Suunto products with same good luck. With that i know of and/or have witness thousands of successful suunto computer dives.

Maybe there was a bad batch of sensors at some point in time, stranger things have happened. I'd guess it's more like the law of averages. You get enough people on here posting about their Suunto experiences you are bound to dip into the normal failure rate. As Suunto stated nothing electronic is 100% infallible.

I highly recommend Suunto products because i've had great luck with them. Generally as good or better than similar products i've used made by Oceanic, Scuba Pro, Uwatec, Aladin, Cochran and Mares.

But always remember, computers rot your brain, good ole Uncle Pug sez so. :D

I have been going back and forth with Aqua Lung and Suunto regarding my recently deceased Suunto Cobra (bad depth gauge, same as everyone else) that I purchased new from an authorized reseller in 2001. I was asked by Aqua Lung to produce my receipt, which I did, only to be told that they couldn't help me, that I would have to throw away my unit since it was out or warranty and can't be repaired or replaced, and that my only option was to buy a new unit at full price. They refused to offer any discount on the purchase of a new Suunto Cobra 3 unit.

I was very displeased with this response, and so I contacted Suunto directly to check and see if it was true that the entire unit had to be replaced, and could not be fixed. I talked to a customer support representative, who told me she would check on the issue for me, and reply by email. She responded as promised, with the following reply:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Suunto Cobra

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Emilia Gennaio) - 06/30/2009 04:00 AM
Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Suunto.

The service center informed me that your Cobra can be repaired only by replacing the module.
Please, check if Aqualung if they can replace the module.
If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us again.

With Best Regards,
Suunto Helpdesk

Response (Emilia Gennaio) - 06/29/2009 05:27 AM
Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Suunto.

I contacted the service center and I am waiting for a reply from the technician.
I will contact you again as soon as I have more information.

With Best Regards,
Suunto Helpdesk

This was not what I wanted to hear regarding a very expensive dive computer that I had only used for approximately 50 dives. So I responded with the following message:

I purchased this computer new from an authorized Aqua-Lung dealer in 2001. I paid $700 U.S. at the time. I have only used this computer for approximately 50 dives, and have kept it in perfect condition.

Aqua-Lung informed me that since the unit is outside their warranty period of 5 years, that I will be unable to repair or replace the unit. They told me that my only option is to buy an entirely new unit, at full price. They refused to give me any discount off the price of a new unit, despite the fact that my old Suunto Cobra unit failed due to a KNOWN manufacturing defect. Given that this is a dive computer that many people, including myself, trust their safety to underwater, I am very displeased that Suunto did not notify customers that this unit's depth gauge is known to malfunction and give a bad reading. Not only is this a possible safety issue, but it seems that the main motivation on the part of Suunto and Aqua-Lung is to deny that this problem exists until the customer's warranty has expired and they can no longer obtain a replacement without purchasing a new unit.

I am frankly shocked that this is the way Suunto treats their customers. As a Divemaster, I can't in good conscience recommend a Suunto computer to students or fellow divers, when it is clear that Suunto has no interest in providing adequate customer service, but rather in protecting their bottom line at all costs. Aqua-Lung has already refused to provide me any help in this matter, and so I contacted Suunto, in the belief that they would hold themselves to a higher level of customer service. Your response makes it clear to me that this is not the case.

It would be one thing if the Cobra unit was no longer on the market. I would understand if it was an outdated unit that was long past its warranty period. However, the Cobra is still actively sold new at retail, and therefore I feel there is a responsibility on Suunto's part to, at the very least, maintain the brand image of the device by replacing DEFECTIVE units, whether they are under warranty or not. At the very least, give me a discount towards the purchase of a Cobra 3 unit.

As I told Aqua-Lung earlier, as a customer who was sold a defective product that had no hope of lasting the 300 dives (minimum) I expected to get out of the unit, Suunto has lost me as a customer, as well as an advocate for the brand.

For further reading on the extent of this issue in the dive community, I have posted some links below. I am clearly not the first to have this happen to my computer, nor will I be the last. However, I can tell you that I am terribly displeased by the way that Suunto has handled the situation, and will be looking into legal remedies to perhaps organize other unhappy customers and seek monetary compensation for being sold a defective and faulty product. It is always frustrating to deal with poor product quality, even more so when the product is being used in a "mission critical" application like diving, where fault tolerance is extremely low, and the result of a faulty product could very well be the customer's injury or death.

I hope that Suunto will change their mind regarding their unwillingness to help customers replace defective dive computers. By acknowledging that some of their computers are defective and require replacement, Suunto can proactively remove these units from the market and prevent them from being used for diving, where they might cause injury or death. Or, they can continue to pretend that there is no problem, in which case they accept responsibility for the malfunctioning units they have placed on the market, and the human cost with which it might come.

~~~.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/225212-suunto-cobra-depth-sensor.html

~~~.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/244497-cobra-depth-sensor-went-out.html

~~~.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/195116-beware-suunto-computers-d9-vytec.html

I look forward to your reply. Thank you for your kind consideration of this matter.

------------------------

It is clear that despite the length of this particular thread, and the obvious problems with these units (I took immaculate care of my unit, and yet it failed nonetheless), Suunto needs a wakeup call from its customers. I have posted an online petition to gather the signatures of Suunto customers who have experienced problems with a failed depth gauge. It can be found here: ~~~.petitionspot.com/petitions/listensuunto

My Suunto Depth Gauge failed. Customer Service? - Petition Spot

This is the first step in gathering voices to convince Suunto that it is cheaper to listen to our demands, and replace our units, than deal with potential fatalities from malfunctioning dive computers, and the ensuing legal conundrum that this type of problem is bound to create. This thread alone is an evidence trail that will one day provide the basis for a massive negligence lawsuit against Suunto Corporation when a diver dies due to bad deco times provided by a malfunctioning Suunto dive computer.

If you have experienced the problem described in this thread, please sign the petition. We need to get Suunto's attention, and this is the first step.

This is my first post, so ~~~ = www so that I can post urls.

We haven't had any trouble with our two Cobras. However we purchased a Vytec 2 years ago just prior to going on a vacation. The unit was purchased form an authorized dealer who told us it had been used about 4 times in a pool as a demo unit and offered a discount. We dove several times and then the transmitter failed. As we had a vacation coming up we sent it to Hollywood Scuba for eval. They told us the unit was used and had been flooded with a repair attempted. Therefore there was nothing they could do.

We purchased a second transmitter as the vacation to Indonesia was in a few days. On return we contacted the company we purchased the Vytec from and sent it back for eval. They agreed that the unit was flawed and sent us a new transmitter.

We are grateful to Hollywood Scuba for the manner in which they supported our needs. They sold us the second transmitter at a discount and provided rapid service.

It is a bit confusing where the fault lies and therefore I'm not including the name of the retailer we purchased from originally but someone let faulty equipment onto the market without regard for safety of the diver or responsibility to provide a properly working unit to the public.

I suggest the Dive Rite three button nitrox which is not as sleek as the D9, it is sold under a few brand names and has been bullet proof in my experience. I have a D9 and it has worked great except the strap broke and the battery needs replacing which means it has to be sent in. I also have a vyteck as a backup but I never had cause to use it. My wife uses the dive rite and my friends who are instructors.
I the problems you are describing years ago with the Scubapro product

This thread started about 6 months after I bought an Aeris computer, due in part to things I had heard about Suunto quality control and service, as well as what I believe to be generally anti-competitive pricing by Aqualung and their associated brands. I also seem to recall reading a lot of complaints about Suuntos not linking up reliably to the transmitter. Oh, and I also could not imagine getting a computer that had to be shipped to the factory for a battery replacement.

I have never regretted going with Oceanic/Aeris and now between myself and other family members, we have 6 assorted Oceanic or Aeris computers. We have had a few minor issues that warranted a repair or firmware upgrade and have always had prompt service from Oceanic.

I suppose there are lemons in every brand, though. All I can say is that I have read enough to know I would never want a Suunto computer. For those committed to a conservative algorithim, Oceanic now has a computer called the OC1 with dual algorithims and it looks like a direct competitor to the D9.

I think Cressi also makes a nice wrist computer but it is not air-integrated and is not widely distributed in the U.S.

It is a shame there are so many problems with such a high ticket and important piece of equipment.

I just spoke with the regional repair shop for SUUNTO in Tampa, FL about my vyper (7 yrs old) that is showing 130m at the surface. He said that this a board problem and can't be fixed. Anyone have any experience with this?

I just spoke with the regional repair shop for SUUNTO in Tampa, FL about my vyper (7 yrs old) that is showing 130m at the surface. He said that this a board problem and can't be fixed. Anyone have any experience with this?

Your story is typical , we've had half a dozen Suuntos on the boat with the same problem on one trip. You've done well to get 7 yrs , though , some of our customers' were days old.

I use VR3's now, more expense but worth every penny

Come on.. What is his key sentence on OP's post?

"If you can actually get in touch with them good luck. "

Any computer and any brand can be out of order....

The real issue that OP had was how to be handled...

Read it carefully.
No that is not true "Any computer and any brand can be out of order...". I am making seals with CNC lathes. And on the industrial grade computers inside, you may have 1 problem per 5-10 years and it informs you about having a problem. I never saw any component reporting wrong values without warnings.
A dive computer which reports wrong deep can kill you. If the sensor is not reliable than they must put in 2 or 3 sensors and if one report something different than it must alert the diver.

I have two D9's, 2004 with around 200 dives and a 2010 with around 30. No problems on both and very happy. I would love to know if there are any "fake" DC on the market?

Sorry to hear about your DOA computer. You could try to get support/repair, but I would set your hopes at about zero and start saving for a new one.

Yea, I agree that if you got 7 years out of it and it didn't injure you, you are on the winning side of people's experience with them. My recommendation would be to see if any companies are offering a "trade in your old computer on one of our new one" programs, and just move on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom