Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto Stinger... cont'd.

Firstly, when I posted at first about the problems I had with my Stinger I'd like to point out for the record that once I got in touch with Suunto - their service was absolutely top notch! They offered a replacement while mine was on repair, and acted very expediently.

Unfortunately, I've just come back from a trip to Bali where - again - the same problem appeared: depth indicated with 5+m error. Maybe the fix... wasn't as effective a fix as one'd hope.

We'll see what they say this time around - keep you all posted.

IMO
some SUUNTO products are JUNK JUST PLAIN JUNK!! NOT USER FRIENDLY ! ALL ABOUT SPENDING MORE MONEY ON SERVICE THAT SHOULD NOT BE NEEDED!
DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!
as a end user years back of the best built "bullet proof" computer made the SUNNTO " FAVOR" many divers had started to dive with user friendly replaceable battery and they were used by most shops to do open water dives at a fair price to shops and new divers.
That said I recommended to a diver advancing thru the ranks SUUNTO products,she purchased the GEKKO well yearly battery swaps seemed to be easy WRONG! after a shop did the battery change and reinstalled in the wrist puck prior to a trip I removed it to check their work and noticed the battery bezel was not installed correct and a dive in salt water would of ruined the computer , now with days to go I found replacement battery's by different manufactures were different thickness by a small amount, purchased correct battery BRAND SPECIFIC! & O ring kit after replacement still a poor seal, Trying to avoid long delays or screwing with sending back to manufacture this simple battery replacement was going nuts!
On speaking with other dive professionals on this poor seal I was informed on battery replacement the bezel,lens,and oring should be replaced on each battery replacement,so now a yearly battery replacement due to amount of dives is just a hassle! with the top secret parts kit from only one European dealer that's speaks no English. or sending off to one dealer that knows the nuances of this POS!
WE all know SCUBAPRO has top secret recalls and require manufacture battery replacements and half the time you never get your unit back,with many other manufactures with bad units on the market.
Thats why I use a 50 year old wind up bottom timer never a failure or battery needed!
Dive safe!

If you find a Suunto not to be user friendly, I assume you are also having problems opening a beer can?!?

Just because a LDS screwed up does not make the product crap. My wife changes her gekko/zoop batteries herself without hassle. I use it in gauge mode down to 150-200ft without seal/leak issues.

Just an opinion, no need to make it your own.

It's the thread that won't die...

...after a shop did the battery change and reinstalled in the wrist puck prior to a trip I removed it to check their work and noticed the battery bezel was not installed correct and a dive in salt water would of ruined the computer , now with days to go I found replacement battery's by different manufactures were different thickness by a small amount, purchased correct battery BRAND SPECIFIC! & O ring kit after replacement still a poor seal, Trying to avoid long delays or screwing with sending back to manufacture this simple battery replacement was going nuts!
On speaking with other dive professionals on this poor seal I was informed on battery replacement the bezel,lens,and oring should be replaced on each battery replacement,so now a yearly battery replacement due to amount of dives is just a hassle! with the top secret parts kit from only one European dealer that's speaks no English. or sending off to one dealer that knows the nuances of this POS!

This is just crap and/or irrelevant. The batteries and o-rings are readily available, genuine or otherwise. They're cheap & easy to replace yourself. I've replaced just the battery & re-used the old o-ring when I've had to without problems. Sorry about your experience but don't blame the product

Wow. That was a waste of time. You've done a great job of showing your colors in this post. There is not an accurate statement in it other than the fact that a saltwater dive would likely kill an open computer. The rest is complete BS.

IMO
some SUUNTO products are JUNK JUST PLAIN JUNK!! NOT USER FRIENDLY ! ALL ABOUT SPENDING MORE MONEY ON SERVICE THAT SHOULD NOT BE NEEDED!
DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!
as a end user years back of the best built "bullet proof" computer made the SUNNTO " FAVOR" many divers had started to dive with user friendly replaceable battery and they were used by most shops to do open water dives at a fair price to shops and new divers.
That said I recommended to a diver advancing thru the ranks SUUNTO products,she purchased the GEKKO well yearly battery swaps seemed to be easy WRONG! after a shop did the battery change and reinstalled in the wrist puck prior to a trip I removed it to check their work and noticed the battery bezel was not installed correct and a dive in salt water would of ruined the computer , now with days to go I found replacement battery's by different manufactures were different thickness by a small amount, purchased correct battery BRAND SPECIFIC! & O ring kit after replacement still a poor seal, Trying to avoid long delays or screwing with sending back to manufacture this simple battery replacement was going nuts!
WE all know SCUBAPRO has top secret recalls and require manufacture battery replacements and half the time you never get your unit back,with many other manufactures with bad units on the market.
Thats why I use a 50 year old wind up bottom timer never a failure or battery needed!
Dive safe!

This is just crap and/or irrelevant. The batteries and o-rings are readily available, genuine or otherwise. They're cheap & easy to replace yourself. I've replaced just the battery & re-used the old o-ring when I've had to without problems. Sorry about your experience but don't blame the product
i did the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom