Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiggy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My friends and I have all had problems with Sunnto computers.

Mainly the Vytec and D9,to date we have 16 Yes Sixteen that all have faulty depth sensors.
We have used these computers since they came out and to start had no issues.

The lastest 22 that we have brought or sold as we are a group of dive operators have ALL had the same fault.

Sunnto initially replace them with brand new computers which is fine as they are covered by a two year warranty but when they malfunction again, In one case after just 15 dives they are now refusing to help and state that replacements have only 3 mths warranty ??????.This also takes a two year warranty if it malfunctions in first 6 months to just 9 months...

My concerns are simple they obviously have an issue with the latest sensors,they simply dont care. If you can actually get in touch with them good luck.

We have dealt with both Sunnto direct in Finland and the local supplier.

The final outcome is a bill for a repaired computer at over 200dollars for each computer and yes another 3mths warranty.

Sunnto can kiss our **** in the future if anyone can recommend another brand supplier In Asia please PM me.

Sunnto has a slogan replacing luck......with faulty depth sensors at 75% of cases you need luck on your side.

At what time did you start getting faulty sensors? I bought my Vytec about a year ago, and have had no problems with it.

I know you said the D9's, but my D6 has been working like a champ so far. What exactly does the computer show when it is malfunctioning?

I have experienced depth reading problems with my Vytec off and on since I purchased it. The problem shows itself as a reading that's shallower than I actually am at. Frankly, I think it's a pretty dangerous failure mode for a dive computer.

As it's an intermittent problem (happens only every once in a while) and I have a backup bottom timer, I just ignore it ... when the two are off by more than a foot or so I go with what the Uwatec's telling me.

I just purchased a Cochran MC20H, so my Vytec's getting tossed in the box of stuff I'll probably never use again anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The original computers over two years old no problems.

Its the latest batch we have used the last year.

They generally over read or under read with depth,they also carry on diving in same cases at surface.as stated its all depth sensor related.

The attached picture shows the faulty computers from just ONE trip over 4
days.

computers.JPG

attached picture of faulty computers

computers.JPG

Here is a picture of some faulty Sunntos taken on ONE liveaboard trip..

Yet they ""Sunnto'" state there isn't a problem.

Please note the computers in most cases are still diving at surface clearly a depth sensor problem....

Buyer beware< make sure you have a backup or good insurance when diving sunnto.

Send PM and I will give you the email address for someone that is far up the Suunto Food chain that may be able to help.

Same here, got one for my wife and was about to get one for myself. Now I'll wait and follow this thread to see what happens. My wife's has been working fine but now I'm going to have her use a depth gauge as well.

This may be more than a Suunto problem. I have a buddy with a new Oceanic that said he was @ 6' when he was on the beach before ever diving. It took a couple of days to zero out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom