Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spoke with the regional repair shop for SUUNTO in Tampa, FL about my vyper (7 yrs old) that is showing 130m at the surface. He said that this a board problem and can't be fixed. Anyone have any experience with this?

My D6 did something similar, while on a shallow dive, it suddenly started diving deep, going down to 180 meters and every alarm going off. It took over a day after surfacing for it to finally reach zero meters. Computer was 4 months old with 60 dives. Suunto replaced the module, I was told that I still had two year warranty starting from the original purchase date or 3 months after repair, which ever was longer. Was told it was a blown depth sensor, but the fix is just an entire module replacement.

Watboy, Very strange. The Sunnto products have a limited depth of 120m. After that the system goes to gauge mode, thus no alarms.

It definitly didn't go into gauge mode after 120. I got deco warnings, PP02 warnings, F02 warnings. Then when it reversed its descent, fast ascent warnings. Shame that I didn't have a PC cable to download that dive profile. My buddy was complaining as it was beeping for most of the dive. Was a shallow sub 12 meter training dive so i didn't abort.

I really think that unique events deserve their own threads and doing a zombie on an unrelated thread is poor.

Folks, in addition to the Suunto D9 I have a Uwetec SOL. Both have problems with the wireless transmissions in many dives. Now, I use them now with a SPB gauge. I do not trust the terchnology as the technology is in its infancy. I got this confirmed by tech guys in the business that know what they are talking about. I do notice the mobile tech guys that i dive with all use SPGs in addiition to their D9's or SOLs. Just a thought.

At what time did you start getting faulty sensors? I bought my Vytec about a year ago, and have had no problems with it.

with 16000+ post's on SB when do you have time to dive?

Last edited:
WOW Batman ! I have many of the same problems with uwatech.I switched to Sunnto several years ago.Nary a problem.My son"the dive teacher" uses his D6 almost daily.Perhaps its the luck ot the draw on computers and no support from any manufacturer. Has anyone had sucess in getting any manufacturer to step up and fix a problem outside warranty or a recall?

. Has anyone had sucess in getting any manufacturer to step up and fix a problem outside warranty or a recall?

Lets not restrict this question to dive computers or gear.
I am sure you get the same attention from
Ford
GM
Chrysler
Sony
Panasonic
etc. etc, etc.

My friends and I have all had problems with Sunnto computers.

Mainly the Vytec and D9,to date we have 16 Yes Sixteen that all have faulty depth sensors.
We have used these computers since they came out and to start had no issues.

The lastest 22 that we have brought or sold as we are a group of dive operators have ALL had the same fault.

Sunnto initially replace them with brand new computers which is fine as they are covered by a two year warranty but when they malfunction again, In one case after just 15 dives they are now refusing to help and state that replacements have only 3 mths warranty ??????.This also takes a two year warranty if it malfunctions in first 6 months to just 9 months...

My concerns are simple they obviously have an issue with the latest sensors,they simply dont care. If you can actually get in touch twith them good luck.

We have dealt with both Sunnto direct in Finland and the local supplie
The final outcome is a bill for a repaired computer at over 200dollars for each computer and yes another 3mths warranty.

Sunnto can kiss our **** in the future if anyone can recommend another brand supplier In Asia please e sensorPM me.

Did you ever get any satisfaction fron sunnto? The web page says something about delayed activation of the sensor when useing water activation.The remedy,activate the computer prior to entry? Does this make any sense to you? I can see how how a direct descent could do this if the computer is tied to a ton of rocks.Do you knoe if this is a problem on the D9.

Sounds just like our story. We gave up counting!

IF you could get hold of a real person at Suunto we thought we might get somewhere.

Stiggy actually did, got a promise to deal with the issue within 14 days or something and then the supplier in Thailand reversed the decision.

So lots of new un-usuable computers out of warranty, some older with the same fault, but still not good

Just look at the longevity of this thread, says it all

Good old VR3 , that's all i can say

Anybody had problems with the Suunto Heli O2 yet. We've had mixed reports

Back
Top Bottom