Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me for exhuming the dead horse from the crypt, but my Suunto Vytec crapped out about two weeks ago on a shallow freshwater dive. Computer indicated I was at 19ft at the bottom of a 40ft ledge, confirmed by my backup gauge and dive buddy's computer.

A friend downloaded the following data from my computer that was purchased in 2006.

S/N: 435798
V 22.0.0
Total dive time: 170:52:00
Max Depth: 39.8 meters
Total # Dives: 285

The LDS feels I got reasonable useful life from the computer. I'm not so sure.

Prior to the failed dive, I did a week of diving in the Caribbean. The computer flew with checked luggage. I'm thinking there might be saltwater crystals built up in the depth sensor port.

Am doing an extensive hot water soak and plan to pressure check it or dive it tomorrow to see what happens.

If that doesn't work, any suggestions? I work in the semiconductor industry. I'm thinking I should get at least another few years of service. Am I naive?

Mike

Sorry to hear bout that but I've had an el cheapo mosquito for 5 years n it hasn't turned belly up.

When it comes to electronics especially electronics that go underwater, there's a very high chance that things can go wrong.

After hearing all the horror stories of busted computers, I'm sticking to cheap depth gauges or at most something affordable like an aladin tec 2G.

SangP

It would be great if someone could a forensic analysis on the failure and determine why sooooo many fail. Perhaps it would generate a class action if a defective design or a in appropriate component was used.

I have a 2007 Vyper with about 400 dives on it and there where no issues at all.
Also i never heard or seen in about 10 yyears dive business a Suunto dive computer going bad or acting wired.
For this reasons i would buy again a Suunto.

Chris

It would be great if someone could a forensic analysis on the failure and determine why sooooo many fail. Perhaps it would generate a class action if a defective design or a in appropriate component was used.

The reason so many of the computers have sensors that fail is due to an intrinsic design flaw in the sensors produced by Intersema, Switzerland. This sensor is used by many computers on the market. If you get a good Intersema sensor, it can last for ages. But there are bad ones as well. A manufacturer who uses that sensor has no way to know or test if the sensors are good or bad. Only real world dives over months, will tell.

We stopped using Intersema sensors in 2009 after having similar problems with them (inconsistency). We now use dual redundant piezoresistive ceramic sensors in our X1 computers (which have now been lowered to $1399). Cochran computers use capacitive ceramic sensors; both types of ceramic sensors (piezoresistive and capacitive) are way more reliable than the gel filled silicon sensors that are used in most dive computers. The third good option is to find an oil filled computer that uses a non-gel filled silicon sensor. The Uwatec Bottom Timer (or 'Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge') is an example of such a product, which is why the Uwatec Bottom Timer is extremely reliable. However some oil filled computers still use unreliable gel filled silicon sensors.

From the manufacturer's perspective, it is extremely appealing to use the Intersema sensor as it is small, cheap, digital and pre-calibrated. It is the only sensor on the market which is designed specifically for dive computers. Using any other type of sensor greatly increases manufacturing overhead and parts cost.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products
Liquivision

Well ive logged 100 dives on my vyper and my buddy (instructor) from the UK has logged 300+ dives on 2 vypers (lost the first one on a dive) with no problems. Had them both down to 60m. Maybe there was a bad batch sold in a certain country as i know many divers who have never had a problem with them.

I have owned a Vytec for the past 5-6 years and loved it, including the wireless pressure sensor. However, the depth gauge just went besurk last week. I was lucky it was only a 27' foot depth but it showed me at 47'. It then showed 21' when I was out of the water and during the next hour was gradually showing deeper. 4 hours later, when I was calling Suunto, it showed 28'.

Suunto/Aqualung were not very accommodating at all. They said the depth gauge 'issue' was known and was not fixable. The only thing they could do is replace the computer if I sent it back to them with an original store receipt and only if the computer was purchased less than 5 years ago!

A real shame because I had over 250 dives with the Vytec and it was a great computer.

The reason so many of the computers have sensors that fail is due to an intrinsic design flaw in the sensors produced by Intersema, Switzerland.
Liquivision

OK. Got it. Looks like the depth sensor component supplier had or has a wide variation in process control and the component engineer at Suunto was unable to detect this. This stuff happens. The toughest thing is figuring out the field failure rate and what to do about it. Do nothing, recall or extend the warranty.

dasalomon:
The only thing they could do is replace the computer if I sent it back to them with an original store receipt and only if the computer was purchased less than 5 years ago!

Thanks for your report. I'll follow up with Suunto tomorrow.

Mike

My brother has the Zoop and I have a Mares Puck. We dove together, and his Zoop said 2M while my Puck said 6M. We were stunned and got our guides attention. She had a older Suunto model (don't know which one, but kinda looked like a D6 or D4) and it stated 6M at our safety stop location. We took the Zoop out of the water, dropped it back in on a rope with another Zoop and my Puck, but they seemed fine... Weird as Sh*t, but it seems like the Zoop may have an issue as well...

Your opinion.

Come on.. What is his key sentence on OP's post?

"If you can actually get in touch with them good luck. "

Any computer and any brand can be out of order....

The real issue that OP had was how to be handled...

Read it carefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom