Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving suunto computers for 5 years, just about everyone I dive with has one, the LDS I worked at sold them. I can honestly say I probally sent no more than 5 back to suunto in 5 years and never had a problem they wouldn't take care of. Just my 2 cents

Much better choice (Oceanic). Also, look at the Aeris computers as they are exactly the same as the Oceanic computers (Oceanic and Aeris are the same company - just like Lexus & Toyota). The Aeris line of computers typically cost a little less. The reliability and functionality is exactly the same though.
Happy Diving!

Much better choice (Oceanic). Also, look at the Aeris computers as they are exactly the same as the Oceanic computers (Oceanic and Aeris are the same company - just like Lexus & Toyota). The Aeris line of computers typically cost a little less. The reliability and functionality is exactly the same though.
Happy Diving!

Oh yes, the Sherwood Wisdom is also made by the same people (Palegic Industries) who also make Oceanic & Aeris computers. Thus, a Sherwood Wisdom will also operate, program, and look the same as an Oceanic/Aeris computer. The only difference between all of them is bodies and layouts. They all use essentially the same downloading software as well.

My experience suunto. I have a cobra that is 6 years old with several hundred dives on it and it still works like new. My sister bought one and after about a year the HP hose blew. I bought one for my wife who doesn't dive mush and after about 15 dive her HP hose blew. Then with 20 dive the depth senor went out. A good friend had his depth senor go out on his cobra last year. Aqua lung who is the distributor for Suunto said that the depth senor is made into the computer and can not be fixed. If you have a proof of purchase they said they would pro rate it. My friend did get a new one at a discounted price. I however I was SOL for my wifes. I could not find the receipt. I asked them about the warranty card I sent in at time of purchase and was told that they didn't keep up with the warranty cards.Two out of four cobra computers have the same problem and one has hardly been used tells me it is a manufactures defect. If their product is defective they should fix it but they won't if they can find anyway to weasel out of it.

I also have a D9. It has been sent back to Suunto three times. It will show 3000 psi and then it will drop to 400psi and then a minute later it will show 3000psi again. I have had dives that this huge fluctuation has happened three or four times during the dive. I have printed out logs that show the spikes in air pressure and set them in with the computer. It is still not fixed. It did the same thing yesterday. I just got tired of not having a computer to dive with after paying $1700.

I do love the way Suunto have their computer setup. And I just bought my wife another cobra2. They are simple to use and gives you all the information you need. I just do not trust them because of their quality issues, so I always dive with two. I have never had two go out at the same time. If suunto would stand behind their product they would have in my opinion the best recreational dive computer on the market.

repalmer1

I had the same problem with my D9. Called Aqua Lung and they told me to replace the battery in the transmitter. Fixed it....if you have not gone thru that step....perhaps that may be the problem.

Well, here is the thing. Even if they sell a billion units per year and only have one of them fail - if it is YOUR unit that fails and YOU get screwed, that's really all that matters. I don't care what their success rate is if I am the one that is getting screwed. Lame excuses and lamer customer service just doesn't cut it.

As you might guess - my Cobra with 89 dives just had its depth sensor go out, and now I've got every reason to believe I'll be getting screwed ):

Another reason not to rely only on computers. I dive 2 computers,both suunto, and a console with SPG,depth guage and compass. To date I haven't had a computer malfunction but I like the piece of mind knowing that if they do crap out, I still have guages that I can fall back on.

Computer is almost 5 years old, but I only put 89 dives on it - 60 of which were in the first month or so that I had it. It has been meticulously maintained and had been serviced with new battery and o-ring kit just before the last 4 dives.

Of course, I am out of luck. So that's what, $10/dive? At that rate, I might as well have just gone with a rental unit.

they are ok as a cheap tool, as one of the instigartrs to this thread, i think it's lost it point.

my point was the after sales service is appalling, still haven't been able to reach a real person.

good side is, it's made me get of my bum and get VR3's - the business

J

Might as well jump on the "slam Suunto bandwagon" I have the fortune (misfortune?) to own 5, (tomorrow it will be 6) Suunto's.:shakehead:

Of 3 Cobra's purchased between 2004-2005--two had sensor malfunction while diving in Bonaire this past April. I dive with two computers, a Vytec as my main and a Cobra as a backup, the Cobra sensor malfunctioned. My son-in-law, brand new to diving, was using one my spare Cobras also had a sensor malfunction. I ended up buying a Cobra II in Bonaire so he would be able to continue to dive on the vacation. My daughter's Cobra, also on loan from me, worked without incident. Upon returning home my LDS sent the two dysfunctional Cobras back and they were replaced without incident. So now I have three Cobras and one Cobra II.

Yesterday, I was checking my dive computers. (I leave for Fiji on Saturday) To my dismay my Vytec was registering a depth of 420 ft while "diving" in my livingroom. Quite a feat. I may have to install a chamber in case I get bent going from the livingroom to the kitchen.:wink: My LDS is sending the Vytec back and I get to purchase another one tomorrow so I will have one for my trip. :depressed: Lucky me--please note sarcasm.

Unfortunately I live in a small community and really don't have another option as the LDS doesn't carry much aside from Suunto.

This means that of the four original Suuntos, 2 Cobras and 1 Vytec, ie: 75% have sustained a sensor failure in less than 4 years. It also means that I will be forced to carry additional backup computers as I can no longer trust my Suuntos to function properly on a dive trip.

The owner of my LDS said that the Aqualung rep acknowledged a sensor problem with Cobras and Vytecs that started with certain serial numbers. However my Vytec's serial number falls outside that range. Hopefully this does not mean the sensor problems are more wide spread than they thought.

I am sure readers question my sanity when I continue to buy Suuntos after my experience. In Bonaire I just thought I had "bad" luck. But when my Vytec died yesterday, I think there is something definitely wrong with Suunto's quality control.

Yesterday I gave serious consideration to buying a Uwatec Galileo, but that would have meant a grey market internet purchase, which is not something I am crazy about, as the nearest Uwatec dealer is over 100 miles away. Apparently Scubapro requires substantial inventory purchases for a diveshop to become a dealer and there just isn't enough local interest to justify it. "Hey Scubapro in these difficult economic times you just may wish to change your policies," because you would have sold one of your units to me if my LDS could have obtained it.

Sincerely,

imasleeper

These opinions are my own and your's may vary.

Back
Top Bottom