Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you know, jax, that is true & i totally understand it. i really respect lynne's opinions and know she does more that her due diligence.

but predators weren't available when she made her choice...

Reactions: Jax
yep, but as i remember (and i could certainly be wrong) the oled was a big consideration for her, so it bumped the x1 up.

and i'm not knocking the x1 at all. just pointing something out to analysis-paralyzed jax. :wink:

Somebody is saying the X1 is hard to read? Goodness gracious! The reason I OWN an X1 is because I can't see worth squat underwater, in low light. Even with my bifocal mask. Putting the font size on the X1 to "LARGE" makes it readable from ten feet away -- I know, because I did a dive one night with a friend where I forgot my computer, so I used his -- on HIS wrist.

I don't think you can go wrong on readability with any of the OLED gauges. The color is fun, and may increase data interpretation a little, but it takes very little time before you know where the information you want is on your gauge, whichever you have, and a mere glance at the screen is quite enough. I do like the X1 for the small amount of real estate it needs on a small wrist (this is particularly nice in warm water with thin exposure protection). I've had great customer service from LV.

I don't like the logging software or the fact that I have to export the files one by one to get them into DivingLog.de, but that's a minor annoyance.

Jax, I'll bet that, like EVERYTHING in dive gear -- EVERYTHING I've experienced, anyway -- there is no perfect trimix computer. Each one has things you'll love about it, and things that will annoy the dickens out of you. The trick is to try to figure out what people like and dislike about what they have, and compare that to the things that you find pleasant or annoying, and try to decide which computer you will swear at the least :)

If I had to do it over again, I would still stay with the X1 over the Shearwater, just because of the reduced bulk. I have a Xen for back up, and I'm finding even its bulk is a little annoying next to the X1, especially when messing around with stage/deco bottles in sidemount.

yep, but as i remember (and i could certainly be wrong) the oled was a big consideration for her, so it bumped the x1 up.

and i'm not knocking the x1 at all. just pointing something out to analysis-paralyzed jax. :wink:

I appreciate what you're saying. Especially the last sentence.

When I made my decision, it was VPM-B, OLED & small size, as the X1 was the only machine that fitted that bill, that's what I got. Today, the only difference would be size. If I was convinced the latest version was as close to bullet proof as any machine can be, I'd go with the X1. If not, I'd get something else. There are quite a few to choose from now.

TSM, what does DivingLog.de offer "you" that V-Planner Divelog doesn't. I'v been curious since you made the statement some time ago.

What it offers me is the ability to search on various criteria -- for example, I can easily pull up all my cave dives, or very quickly pull up my last dives in the Red Sea in case I want to know how much weight I used there . . . All that stuff is narrative in the X1 log, and therefore not indexed or easily searchable.

NEVER!! :scorned:

I just really, really enjoy shopping. I don't need anything, so right now, it's a pleasurable contemplation. :daydreaming:

Question on the X1:

If I understand this correctly, the X1

• downloads only to its proprietary dive log software
  • requires a special interface device costing ~$100 to download
  • requires a special cable to download

Is this correct?? No bluetooth, no IrDA?

Can one export to a (something) delimited text file?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom