Best way to learn to service regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep it one brand only.
It must have saved me a lot of money on DIY(Apeks only) over last 20+ yrs.
The only special tool I have is the C-spanner(x2). And I prefer Christolube over silicon grease. It is really difficult to remove silicon grease from anything afterward.
However, getting the genuine Apeks service kits in USA is difficult.

DIY is the way to go if you have the inclination.
Enjoy.

Keep it one brand only.
It must have saved me a lot of money on DIY(Apeks only) over last 20+ yrs.
The only special tool I have is the C-spanner(x2). And I prefer Christolube over silicon grease. It is really difficult to remove silicon grease from anything afterward.
However, getting the genuine Apeks service kits in USA is difficult.

DIY is the way to go if you have the inclination.
Enjoy.
Also a LOT of time and frustration. Time spent on research, finding tutorials, discovering weird nuances, learning, and more.

Also a LOT of time and frustration. Time spent on research, finding tutorials, discovering weird nuances, learning, and more.
No difference from growing up and learn how to survive in a rat race.

Thank you all for the detailed well thought out and love filled posts in this thread!

I got a tingly feeling reading all the great replies! There are some huge web gods in this thread and any words of gratitude probably ring hollow, but I'm touched by your attentions!

Thank you.

I've worked repairing bicycles and paintball guns and TV's/stereos/radios/computers. You guys are the real deal!

I already have 3 torque wrenches (1/2, 3/8, 1/4) and a set of metric crows foot wrenches that I use when I work on bicycle suspensions/cars.

I'm going to re-read this thread a bunch of times, so I can give the thread a proper answer, but I just wanted to say "Thank you!"

If you were only going to learn and buy one brand what would you get?
I want that I will have access to parts/tools.
I want to get a set of 2 regs for sidemount and an O2 cleanable deco reg to replace my ancient Dacor Air 960 and XLE Pacer and Pacer Aero

If your criteria are
1) self service
2) access to parts (and training)
3) rated for oxygen
then I think you are limited to Poseidon and Deep6. It's been too many years since I took the HOG course, but they may be approved for O2 cleaning as well. I don't know.
You can go to saltblue.com to find Poseidon training, and deep6gear.com for Deep6 training.
After completion you are allowed to buy parts. Poseidon does not teach O2 cleaning outside of Europe. Deep6 procedures are in their downloadable manual. My 2 cents: do not clean for oxygen use from book learning only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom