Best way to learn to service regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral_Reef_Fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking on learning how to service my own regulators.

What resources should I look into for learning how to service regs?
What tools are essential, nice to have.
Where do I get spare parts?
What regs should I buy if I want to service my own regs? I'm thinking used here.
What should I buy for a sidemount set and a deco reg?

It's possible that I'm not asking the right questions.
I have over 100+ dives on my old Dacor 960 and Dacor XLE Pacer.
I'm worried about getting parts for it.

I'm looking on learning how to service my own regulators.

What resources should I look into for learning how to service regs?
What tools are essential, nice to have.
Where do I get spare parts?
What regs should I buy if I want to service my own regs? I'm thinking used here.
What should I buy for a sidemount set and a deco reg?

It's possible that I'm not asking the right questions.
I have over 100+ dives on my old Dacor 960 and Dacor XLE Pacer.
I'm worried about getting parts for it.
Take a class....but I don't think you'll find any parts anymore for that reg.
If you are buying new regs and want to service them yourself, it is hard to beat the Deep Six offerings.

Your Dacors are what I think of as advanced regs to service, not be because they are difficult but rather no parts kits are available for them so you have to get creative with parts. Trident sells some HP seats that may work so you might can get them and Dacor used pretty much standard orings so getting the correct ones is not difficult IF you understand what you are doing and this is where the second level comes in, getting the correct parts. The Pacer second stages are pretty good and common replacement parts work in them so they are not a problem.
In and of itself, servicing regs is not hard but you do need to understand what you are doing. For a first step I would suggest you get a copy of "Reg Savvy", read and UNDERSTAND it then if possible take a course, rsingler's would be good choice. Required tools range from none to a lot depending on the reg in question.
As for what used regs to buy, it depends on what you want/need. Dirt simple and dependable, any of the unbalanced flow by piston regs are fine for a lot of dives. Regs like the MK-2 fit this category, most brands have a version of it. Very easy to service, easy to find parts for and almost no special tools required. Next I would suggest either the MK-5 or 10. Both are balanced regs, high quality and will do almost any dive you have in mind. Simple to service, easy to find parts for and just a couple special ( inexpensive) tools needed. If you want diaphragm reg then either the Conshelf (later versions) or the first gen AL Titan. Both use the same kits, are rock solid regs, easy to service, parts are available and require few special to service. Either of these 2 will do any dive you care to do.

I'll second what Herman said. If you're looking at the used market, the Scubapro MK5 & MK10 are very serviceable, as part-kits are readily available, the design is simple, and there are start-to-end videos for how to service them. You will need the correct size of pin-spanners, or a "Scubapro tool." Stay far away from the MK15, it's kinda weird and complicated, and getting parts-kits is impossible.

Thank you for all the helpful informative replies. I like this community!

I think I will get that book "Regulator Savy"

Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)

And the basic tool kit the rsingler recommends.

Scuba Tools - NapaScuba Regulator Tool Kit

16-075-500 Small Face Spanner $22.50
10-102-100 Brass Picks $15.25
10-125-400 Steel Picks Set $10.25
15-708-111 Christolube MCG-111 0.8oz syringe $16.75
20-611-200 Brut Orifice Tool $13.25
12-100-500 Schrader Valve Tool $6.50
20-300-400 BCD hose o-ring tool $14.50

I already have torque wrenches and thin cone wrenches from working on bicycles.

After I read and hopefully UNDERSTAND the "Regulator Savy" book I will take a course.

I'm going to keep an eye out for used regs I can learn on, like the Scubapro MK5/10, Any other recommendations.

Eventually I want to end up with a set of regs I can use for Sidemount and a deco reg (O2).

Before you throw a bunch of money on tools, you might want to be sure which regulator you're going to buy, or for what purpose. That tool kit might be okay in terms of helping you through the class, but a lot of those tools I'd pass on if I was only servicing a MK5 or MK10, and a couple 2nd stages.

For the MK5 and MK10 there are a couple specific tools which help a lot with that specific regulator. There is also a good video guide here for the MK5 & MK10

NO steel pick, brass only.
Make sure you can get the service kits readily in the future.
Schrader valve tool and BCD hose O-ring tool? I am not convinced those are really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom