Best U.S. Cell Carrier in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently changed my ATT plan, the cost stayed the same but I have more data per month. The previous plan had unlimited talk and text in Mexico and 1 GB of data per month, and $15 for an additional 1 GB. My new plan is unlimited talk and text and I can use all of my data. It does pay to check your plans regularly.

I need to call my cell provider and ask what the deal will be when I am on Cozumel (next week!). Thanks for the reminder.

Google FI is awesome - Works worldwide, great in Cozumel and my bill is only $30/month. Switched from Verizon easily.

I need to call my cell provider and ask what the deal will be when I am on Cozumel (next week!). Thanks for the reminder.
I just got back. My Sprint phone worked just as if I were in the US with a noted exception. Some toll free numbers do not accept international calls and because of roaming through Movistar or Telcel, they are international although they don't look like it. I had to use the hotel's Magic Jack to get in touch with United.

I use a voice over ip number over wi-fi which costs 85 cents per month plus 0.65 cents (less than one cent) per minute. I use the zoiper softphone app on my Android phone. So I do not use the mobile network at all.

Of course, it only works as long as I am connected to the hotel’s wi-fi, which is fine as the resort we usually go to offers free (but slow)wi-fi.

I use a voice over ip number over wi-fi which costs 85 cents per month plus 0.65 cents (less than one cent) per minute. I use the zoiper softphone app on my Android phone. So I do not use the mobile network at all.

Of course, it only works as long as I am connected to the hotel’s wi-fi, which is fine as the resort we usually go to offers free (but slow)wi-fi.

The OP was looking for best/cheapest CELL carriers. Comparing a WiFi based VOIP reseller is irrelevant.

The OP was looking for best/cheapest CELL carriers. Comparing a WiFi based VOIP reseller is irrelevant.
I'm just speculating, but if what the OP is looking for is a cheap reliable way to make phone calls to the US from Cozumel, VOIP may be something he hasn't considered. I didn't consider it, either, before my recent trip there; I found out while I was there that many US toll free numbers (specifically United Airlines and my home security system's customer service) won't answer my calls from Mexico even though I have an international cell phone plan. I tried from the hotel desk's VOIP system and got right through.

Verizon has been good in Coz and from Cancun to Tulum. Cost has been reasonable from what I remember.

I found out while I was there that many US toll free numbers (specifically United Airlines and my home security system's customer service) won't answer my calls from Mexico even though I have an international cell phone plan.
That surprises me. I could not call Verizon from there as they don't accept international calls (other than at a special number maybe), but I have always been able to call my airline from there. And I prefer calling their US numbers over their Mexico numbers.

Back
Top Bottom