Best U.S. Cell Carrier in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Verizon and can't call 800 numbers even though I have a Mexico plan.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'm with Verizon and can't call 800 numbers even though I have a Mexico plan.
So, dialing 001-then the 800 number won't work? Or 001-52-then the 800 number?

I just called Verizon but the agent I got was clueless. It's Sunday. She said I needed to dial + first, but holding down the * key, but that doesn't work.

I guess one needs to add a local number for their airline to their phone book now, then use 001+that.

I'm just speculating, but if what the OP is looking for is a cheap reliable way to make phone calls to the US from Cozumel, VOIP may be something he hasn't considered. I didn't consider it, either, before my recent trip there; I found out while I was there that many US toll free numbers (specifically United Airlines and my home security system's customer service) won't answer my calls from Mexico even though I have an international cell phone plan. I tried from the hotel desk's VOIP system and got right through.

All calls use VOIP today. This discussion is about cell carriers in Mexico. Using WiFi to make calls is an entirely different kettle of fish. We're not comparing GoogleVoice to Skype or any other of about two dozen VOIP providers. All of those are virtually free but obviously do not work without available WiFi. We're discussing which carrier provides the best service in Cozumel, Mexico. This depends on their carrier agreements with their Mexican counterparts. They all use the same Mexican towers for those calls. One could check to see tower coverage then establish which carriers are partnered and get a better idea of coverage. I assume that the big three US carriers have similar agreements with their Mexican counterparts and that coverage is pretty much equivalent. The real difference is your cost. Depending on how up to date your plan is, cost should be close to zero.

Because the dialed party bears the cost of each call, 800 service does not support international calling. We used to sell 800 service - International inbound is never included. Look on the back of your credit card; There will be two numbers: One from the US (800), the other a local NPA (Area code) that you can oftentimes call collect.

You should make sure that you update your plan to the most current available from your carrier to ensure lowest cost.

You can call US 800 numbers from Skype.

Back
Top Bottom