Best U.S. Cell Carrier in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AT&T Mexico resulted from an acquisition of Lusacell (and Nextel Mexico). It is based out of Mexico City and is a licensed operator of the AT&T brand. It is also known as AT&T Wireless Mexico. It is a Mexican company and owned by AT&T Latin America.
It does seem off for a Mexico wireless phone company to use the name. American Telephone and Telegraph of Mexico? I know that they don't use their full name anymore, like Kentucky Fried Chicken is just KFC now, but the name is still there.

My plan is about $125/month for a lot of data (don’t remember how much) on two lines.
You must be paying off some phone purchases there. Their basic Unlimited plan is $40/month/line, plus a lot of taxes & fees, but not enough to be that high. Even their Premium Unlimited is only $48/month/line. Or maybe you need to update?

I really think that George needs to update. I check our family Verizon plan often to see if I need to update.

It does seem off for a Mexico wireless phone company to use the name. American Telephone and Telegraph of Mexico? I know that they don't use their full name anymore, like Kentucky Fried Chicken is just KFC now, but the name is still there.

DD, are you guys STILL using telegraphs in that remote corner of Texas? Heck that name (American Telephone..) disappeared in the early 90's. I bet that anyone under 30 could not identify the C in CBS or tell you what a telegram was. STOP.

You must be paying off some phone purchases there. Their basic Unlimited plan is $40/month/line, plus a lot of taxes & fees, but not enough to be that high. Even their Premium Unlimited is only $48/month/line. Or maybe you need to update?

I really think that George needs to update. I check our family Verizon plan often to see if I need to update.

First, I said my plan was a couple of years old and the plans change all the time. Second, I just checked AT&T plans and don’t see the plans you mentioned. Maybe they have different plans in Texas. I bought the last few phones outright. I knew that may plan was not paying them off. It was pretty rude to suggest otherwise.

I think if you have an american cell that works there just use that. I have a dual sim phone. I use telcel when there. I can get a month data plan for $300 pesos for 2.5 gb. if your communicating with locals everyone uses whatsapp for calls and texts. So data or wifi is most important to me.

I travel abroad a lot. United 2M. Try AT&T next time you’re in Indonesia. I just got back. It’s expensive - no $10/day plan. $50/Gb from AT&T. And no IP (WiFi) on many of the islands. Good luck with your IP calls. TM or GFi much better option. Local SIM best.
There are always exceptions to things. I guess Indonesia is one of those.

You must have a driver or only use public transportation or maybe offline google maps.

I have a garmin. Over the years I have bought a few extra maps for it....

I have Sprint, when I turned my phone on after getting off the plane back in March, I received a text from Sprint saying:
Welcome to Mexico! Calls: $0.00/min, Texts: $0.00/message, Data: $0.00/MB
To call back to U.S. Dial +1(area code) number. Other destinations dial country code and number.

So I definitely won't complain about free everything. I got the same message last year as well.

DD, are you guys STILL using telegraphs in that remote corner of Texas? Heck that name (American Telephone..) disappeared in the early 90's. I bet that anyone under 30 could not identify the C in CBS or tell you what a telegram was. STOP.
I think I got a telegraph once when I was in boot camp letting me know that my parents were flying out for graduation, 1967. I think. We used to think those poles and lines along the railroad lines here were for telegraph, but I learned on a state park tour of an old right-away now part of their system that they were railroad only system. I remember my babysitter's husband in the 1950s had a old fashioned phone in their house that was railroad only.

I had forgotten what CBS stood for: Columbia Broadcasting System.

First, I said my plan was a couple of years old and the plans change all the time. Second, I just checked AT&T plans and don’t see the plans you mentioned. Maybe they have different plans in Texas.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't think so. Try this link: AT&T Wireless Plans

That shows Unlimited everything for $40/month/line, but there may be more when you get into it, as there often is.

I bought the last few phones outright. I knew that may plan was not paying them off.
I didn't understand that second sentence in that quote. I do understand now that you bought your phones outright. I was guessing that almost everyone paid theirs off like we do as it's the same price, no interest, paid over time for us - but that guess doesn't apply to you, ok.

It was pretty rude to suggest otherwise.
I can't imagine why it sounded rude, but sorry - not my intent at all. My apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom