Best type of line/reel for a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because it takes constant work to keep the line tight. If it floats, it tends to stay up and out of your way. Any slack with a sinking rope and it will wrap around things on the bottom.

Also, for scuba, you definitely do not want to pull a float with a spool. You can use a spool to send up a marker in an emergency and then ascend up the spool line, but you don't want to try to tow a float in deep water, in a current while holding a spool.

Yeah but by that rationale any slack in a floating rope would be a hazard if jet skis are zipping around your float. I have to add a disclaimer, I only use a float in our inland lakes here. Usually, the wind is pulling the float away from you so you need to keep the line tight to keep it straight up and away from your bc. I'm not sure just how "negative" my rope actually is either.

Well jet skies coming that close are a real hazard. If you are in currents and you change from swimming into a current to turning and drifting with it, then the line can change from tight to loose and if you have a rope and no reel, then this can become a potential problem, since tightening the line up is not possible without some type of winder which I dislike. In general, it is better to have the slack move up in the water column.

In any case, it is better to avoid having a lot of slack line, because the diver can get him/herself caught in it as well, but floating line is a lot more forgiving.

I have been using this clothes line rope for shallow shore dives.
Been using same rope for about 6 years now. Never rinse it and it holds up well. SW mind you. I cut it down to 75'.
Everbilt 3/16 in. x 100 ft. White Diamond Braid Nylon Rope-72857 - The Home Depot

Have it attached to an old plastic camping cutting board that I scalloped out so I can spool it up.
Its thick, 3/16", but very manageable IMO.
Have recently switched to a cheap ratchet reel to handle both DMSB, and shore diving. I am liking it. Made a delrin catch that is larger and stronger than the original.
With the charters I use, I don't tote a flag on deeper dives.
20190126_115320.jpg

Hi @aquacat8

I do quite a bit of solo drift diving in Boynton Beach. Depths are from about 60 to a little over 100 feet. Current varies from none to very brisk. I have used a Manta Jr reel loaded with Hi-Viz Dacron line from DGX for many years now. It is not difficult at all to keep the line taut. I nearly always dive it with a small single hook to attach to the reef. I also prefer carrying it with the hook rather than the reel much of the time. I dive my own flag that looks like this. Having my own flag allows me to free up the supplied flags for other divers, and having one that looks a bit different, allows the captain to know which flag is me. This flag has proved quite durable with a few minor modifications.
upload_2019-1-26_12-35-49.png
upload_2019-1-26_12-36-56.png

Is there a standard for which hand should hold the reel ?

I have seen a video where the instructor said to hold it with the right hand when inflating as it leaves your left hand free (I guess the left hand can reach the inflator for example)

The reason I ask is that I was thinking about buying a Kent Tooling reel but they are not symmetric

Hi @aquacat8

I do quite a bit of solo drift diving in Boynton Beach. Depths are from about 60 to a little over 100 feet. Current varies from none to very brisk. I have used a Manta Jr reel loaded with Hi-Viz Dacron line from DGX for many years now. It is not difficult at all to keep the line taut. I nearly always dive it with a small single hook to attach to the reef. I also prefer carrying it with the hook rather than the reel much of the time. I dive my own flag that looks like this. Having my own flag allows me to free up the supplied flags for other divers, and having one that looks a bit different, allows the captain to know which flag is me. This flag has proved quite durable with a few minor modifications.
View attachment 501648View attachment 501649
That looks like a nice set up. How much line do you find you need? I am looking to dive the same area. I have the plastic ratcheting reel like mako sells and that’s the one that gave me trouble when I switched hands. I must have one that works in either hand!

For a long time I used the yellow handle aka "big nasty." but last year I switched to using one of my safety reels instead. $55 at many dive shops and online. If you get a reel, don't forget to discard 20' or so of the line so it's not as close to the edge of the reel.

Classic-Safety-Reel-with-shackle-snap_RE4100_Side-View-600x600.jpg

That looks like a nice set up. How much line do you find you need? I am looking to dive the same area. I have the plastic ratcheting reel like mako sells and that’s the one that gave me trouble when I switched hands. I must have one that works in either hand!
The Manta Jr comes with 250 feet of #24 line (the Manta Jr Rescue comes with 100 feet of #36). 250 ft of line is generally more than adequate. In very brisk current, it is often better to have more line out. I switched out to the DGX Hi-Viz Dacron line a few years ago. It is said to be smaller in diameter to #24, and stronger than #36. I have somewhere more than 250 feet of line now, I bought a bulk spool, so don't know for sure. It makes it a little easier for others to ascend on my line when I take other divers with me. I think it makes it a bit easier to manage lines when passing or being passed to avoid entanglement.

Back
Top Bottom