Best type of line/reel for a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What type of line do you prefer for towing a dive flag for these situations:
1) drift diving as in west palm beach, maybe to 70-80 feet
2) freediving shallow, less than 30'
3) shallow shore dives to less than 30'

I have been thinking of using a reel for the former I've been using the cheap bail thingie (what do you call that?) that came with it for freediving because the floating rope seemed like less of entanglement hazard when going up and down.
I'm not sure which is better... your expertise appreciated. If you do use a reel which one and how is it set up?
Thanks!

I just use the yellow line with the handle thing you wrap it around for my shallow shore dives. I suppose that type line will last forever in salt water (I do rinse it). Have to judge current direction and hold it in the appropriate direction with my arm extended. Only time it really tangles (in fins/tank, etc.) is if I'm not careful ascending.

I just use a standard cave primary reel with #36 line on there.
holds 250ft of #36 line
Classic Primary Reel w/ Shackle Snap | Dive Rite

If I was buying one specifically for this purpose, it would probably be a ratchet style reel. Annoying for cave diving, but for this it is ideal.
Cheap option. 150ft is enough scope that you'll be OK, and you don't have to worry about it unspooling when you don't want to. Several other people have them in bigger sizes. Dano with @MAKO Spearguns sells one linked here
https://www.makospearguns.com/Utility-Reel-p/mur.1.htm
Kent tooling makes one out of metal that is quite expensive, but for freediving you probably want to stay with a plastic one from ballast.

I use the cheap ratchet reels similar to what Tom linked to and the Mako hard float. Nice for drifts. I do own a KT ratchet too. Darn fine piece of hardware.

YMMV

Manta Jr. W/ cave cam. Small and simple. I can free spool it with cave cam, or lock it in place to maintain a depth. Line is 185ft. Also much thinner than the yellow rope mentioned earlier.

Manta Jr. W/ cave cam. Small and simple. I can free spool it with cave cam, or lock it in place to maintain a depth. Line is 185ft. Also much thinner than the yellow rope mentioned earlier.

that's the reel I've probably seen most with divemasters. For dive flag use it's probably one of the better ones out there, but they're not particularly light since they're SS. May be an issue for freediving.

What type of line do you prefer for towing a dive flag for these situations:
1) drift diving as in west palm beach, maybe to 70-80 feet
2) freediving shallow, less than 30'
3) shallow shore dives to less than 30'

I have been thinking of using a reel for the former I've been using the cheap bail thingie (what do you call that?) that came with it for freediving because the floating rope seemed like less of entanglement hazard when going up and down.
I'm not sure which is better... your expertise appreciated. If you do use a reel which one and how is it set up?
Thanks!

I've never heard of using a reel freediving other than when attached to a gun, which would be attached to a float line, then attached to a buoy/float. I would think maybe just holding a float line would be the proper application for freediving.

I would think a typical reel line would turn into a mess and has the potential to tangle.

For shallow freediving in 30 feet or so, 45 feet of cheap poly line is probably fine. Strong, cheap, good visibility and it floats. You don't need a reel and you probably want a reef hook on the bottom end. You could also use thinner rope - down to 3/16" would work.

Everbilt 3/8 in. x 50 ft. Hollow-Braid Poly Rope in Yellow-14084 - The Home Depot

If you are scuba diving around obstructions in shallow water, then you will want to control the line length and shorten it up and keep it tight so it doesn't get wrapped on pilings etc. For shallow water, the mako rachette reel will work fine. If there are no obstructions, you can just use the cheap poly rope above.

For drift diving in strong current and pulling a significant float in 80 plus feet, you are going to need a better reel with more capacity. The full size Manta reel which has the capacity and strength and the rachette action (along with a reef hook) will work well, but is really expensive, The dive rite type reels will also work, but I prefer the one hand release action on the Manta reel.

SR. Tech Reel

Sigh, I just realized this reel thing might also be another left handed thing. I'm sure I went for my second stage with my left hand. The reel must have been in my right, putting it upside down with the ratchet release on the underside instead of my thumb. No wonder it mysteriously didn't work. At least spools and that bail thing are not handed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom