Best type of line/reel for a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also small hands make a lot of tools difficult to operate.

Sigh, I just realized this reel thing might also be another left handed thing. I'm sure I went for my second stage with my left hand. The reel must have been in my right, putting it upside down with the ratchet release on the underside instead of my thumb. No wonder it mysteriously didn't work. At least spools and that bail thing are not handed.

the manta reel may work for you then since it isn't "handed" on the ratchet mechanism. Winding will still be annoying or you'll get used to winding the reel backwards, but the ratchet is a grip mechanism so you can manipulate it in any orientation

Thanks @tbone1004 I will see if I can find one in cave county to handle!

The whole reel thing is new to me, we never used them in California, because of kelp. We just carried a long plastic orange tube that lived in my pocket for over ten years and was never deployed. Never did a drift dive until I moved here!

For freediving I do like that floating yellow line... a lot of time it is in a big loop when I come up. I can see it and avoid it and it doesn't tangle. But for scuba a good reel might work, or even a spool. Entanglement on scuba can be solved with cutting tools. Freediving you might die before you got loose.

Back
Top Bottom