Best type of line/reel for a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a long time I used the yellow handle aka "big nasty." but last year I switched to using one of my safety reels instead. $55 at many dive shops and online. If you get a reel, don't forget to discard 20' or so of the line so it's not as close to the edge of the reel.

View attachment 501853
Thanks, yeah I had to peel off 50’ from my 150 ft plastic reel after it “fluffed” after use. I’m wondering what sizeI need to buy for west palm. One person mentioned using all of 200 feet! Because of scope in current. Is that much really needed?

Hmmmm; I did not think this issue would come up so most of you are using a ratched reel or old yellow line holders. I've been using a finger spool with a double ender to keep thing nice and tidy.

Interesting thread.

Thanks, yeah I had to peel off 50’ from my 150 ft plastic reel after it “fluffed” after use. I’m wondering what sizeI need to buy for west palm. One person mentioned using all of 200 feet! Because of scope in current. Is that much really needed?

you want more than 200 ft capacity in strong current.. more like 300 in 100 ft of water.

you want more than 200 ft capacity in strong current.. more like 300 in 100 ft of water.
@aquacat8, I agree entirely with the above. I said that 250 feet was generally more than adequate. On 2 or 3 occasions I had my 250 foot line completely out, good reason to make sure it is securely attached to the reel spool. With the Dacron line, I would imagine I have 300 feet or more and have not yet had all the line out.

In Boynton Beach, none of the operators I use puts a guide with a flag in the water and I use my flag all the time. The operators I use in Jupiter and West Palm put a guide with a flag in on every dive. I do not take a flag with them and either ascend near the guide, if convenient, or ascend on my own DSMB. In this case, I use a finger spool rather than my reel. My spool has enough line on it that I can deploy it from depth if necessary. As an example, I have been on a deeper wreck in current when the down line was removed prematurely. This has allowed me to deploy my SMB for the ascent and safety stop and allows the boat to follow my progress. You can end up a long distance away in a brisk current in the time it takes you to surface.

Wow, great advice, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom