Best spot to add 4lbs to a single tank BP/W besides the waist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's a good option to attach 4 -5 lbs. of weights to a single tank BP/W setup that doesn't require a STA?

I am leg heavy, so I want to distribute the load more towards my head.

Any thoughts on the sausage pouch that attaches to the center channel of the Back Plate via the 11" spacing?

OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket reviews and discounts, OxyCheq

My other option is to attach 2 weight pouches (2lbs) on my top cam band?

Which of these two options are least hassle free?

I appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

I actually use both of the systems you mention. I have two weight pockets on my top cam band and two oxycheq sausage weights attached to my back plate. Both are great solutions as it puts the weight in the right spot to keep you in trim.

I usually dive twins.I strap 2kg. on the upper part of each bottle.Think can be done with singles too.

The XS Scuba trim pockets will work, the only complaint is that they use velcro. I've seen divers lose weight because of the velcro design. Halcyon makes trim pockets that use velcro with a clip.

Halcyon Trim Weight Pockets, The SCUBA Connection 888-SCUBA-47 12.320.005 *Buy Halcyon at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
As with all things Halcyon, those trim weight pockets are way overpriced. The sad part is there aren't any blue H's adorning the pockets, so people don't know you paid a lot for them. :wink:

Wayne, how many times have you seen divers lose weight from the velcro XS Scuba pockets? I'm just curious. I've done over a couple hundred dives with the velcro XS Scuba weight pockets on my cambands, and I've never had any weight fall out. This might be because I only have 2 or 3 lbs. in each pocket at any given time. Maybe I'm just lucky. Others in my dive buddy circle use the same weight pocket with similar results. However, I do see how a one or two pound soft weight could squirt out of the corner of the pocket without the velcro failing, per se. The day I lose a 2 lb. weight is the day that I'll probably figure out a way to secure the pocket in a closed position by DIY means. Spending almost $50 on a couple of trim pockets is absurd IMHO.

If a diver insists on "clipped" trim pockets, I believe that Oxycheq offers the Deluxe Medium Weight Pocket at a slightly more competitive price.

I'm an XS Scuba Dealer and I think that they do indeed have some great priced products. I am on staff at a local Quarry (Dutch Springs) where I watch the water and assist if divers have problems. You would be amazed as to the amount of divers who blow safety stops or pop to the surface half way through their dives and a good portion of them have done this because of losing weight in a Velcro designed pocket, so that's where I am coming from. My viewpoint (not all have to agree) is plain and simple, I try to shoot for the highest probability of making and completing a dive before I even get in the water, thus i think that having a clip on a trim pocket is better than just using Velcro. When the initial WI BC's came out the majority had Velcro only. Now, they all have some kind of Buckle/Clip design and that's because the problem of divers losing weight. All I was presenting is what I thought was a better design. Price is an issue for some people (and i get that) and design out weighs price for some people as well, it's good to have choices.

What's wrong with 1, or 2, weights added onto 1, or 2, cam bands???....Is it 'the velcro only' thingy & it(them) coming off??..tia....

I'm an XS Scuba Dealer and I think that they do indeed have some great priced products. I am on staff at a local Quarry (Dutch Springs) where I watch the water and assist if divers have problems. You would be amazed as to the amount of divers who blow safety stops or pop to the surface half way through their dives and a good portion of them have done this because of losing weight in a Velcro designed pocket, so that's where I am coming from. My viewpoint (not all have to agree) is plain and simple, I try to shoot for the highest probability of making and completing a dive before I even get in the water, thus i think that having a clip on a trim pocket is better than just using Velcro. When the initial WI BC's came out the majority had Velcro only. Now, they all have some kind of Buckle/Clip design and that's because the problem of divers losing weight. All I was presenting is what I thought was a better design. Price is an issue for some people (and i get that) and design out weighs price for some people as well, it's good to have choices.
Wayne, thanks for your response.

I share your sentiments regarding Velcro-secured ditchable weight-integrated BC pockets. They can work quite well for minimal amounts of weight, but often times this ditchable pocket design is inappropriate for cold water divers who need to carry a lot of weight in that pocket.

However, there's a huge difference between Velcro ditchable weight-integrated BC pockets and Velcro non-ditchable trim weight pockets. I really don't understand how you can extrapolate from one to the other.
  • First of all, most Velcro weight-integrated pockets face down when the diver is in a horizontal (prone) position. This is likely when the weight pocket is accidentally released. The scenario is different with a trim weight pocket that is mounted vertically on a tank camband. One would have to achieve a straight down, inverted position in order for gravity to pull the weight out of the pocket.
  • Secondly, we're comparing vastly different amounts of weight loaded into the pockets. I see lots of SoCal divers stuffing their weight-integrated BC pockets with 10-12 lbs. per pocket. Yikes! That's a far cry from the 2-3 lbs. mounted into a trim pocket. The probability of the 10-12 lb. weight pocket falling out is much higher.
  • Thirdly, even if a diver were to lose a 2-3 lb. trim weight, it shouldn't cause an uncontrollable rapid ascent to the surface. If it does, then I have to question the skills of the diver.

I have a fair amount of Halcyon gear which I purchased secondhand. The company's stuff is well made, and its customer service is excellent. I don't see the $50 value of their trim weight pockets, though. Others are free to form their own opinion.

Wayne, thanks for your response.

I share your sentiments regarding Velcro-secured ditchable weight-integrated BC pockets. They can work quite well for minimal amounts of weight, but often times this ditchable pocket design is inappropriate for cold water divers who need to carry a lot of weight in that pocket.

However, there's a huge difference between Velcro ditchable weight-integrated BC pockets and Velcro non-ditchable trim weight pockets. I really don't understand how you can extrapolate from one to the other.
  • First of all, most Velcro weight-integrated pockets face down when the diver is in a horizontal (prone) position. This is likely when the weight pocket is accidentally released. The scenario is different with a trim weight pocket that is mounted vertically on a tank camband. One would have to achieve a straight down, inverted position in order for gravity to pull the weight out of the pocket.
  • Secondly, we're comparing vastly different amounts of weight loaded into the pockets. I see lots of SoCal divers stuffing their weight-integrated BC pockets with 10-12 lbs. per pocket. Yikes! That's a far cry from the 2-3 lbs. mounted into a trim pocket. The probability of the 10-12 lb. weight pocket falling out is much higher.
  • Thirdly, even if a diver were to lose a 2-3 lb. trim weight, it shouldn't cause an uncontrollable rapid ascent to the surface. If it does, then I have to question the skills of the diver.

I have a fair amount of Halcyon gear which I purchased secondhand. The company's stuff is well made, and its customer service is excellent. I don't see the $50 value of their trim weight pockets, though. Others are free to form their own opinion.

....generally I see a velcro-based weight system as an invitation to get bent! Sure, the Halcyon stuff is a bit spendy, but I'm willing to buy 'best in class' gear to reduce the chances of an accident, and honestly, if weight pocket expense is really even showing on one's budgetary radar as an issue, scuba is perhaps not the sport to be involved in afterall.

....generally I see a velcro-based weight system as an invitation to get bent! Sure, the Halcyon stuff is a bit spendy, but I'm willing to buy 'best in class' gear to reduce the chances of an accident, and honestly, if weight pocket expense is really even showing on one's budgetary radar as an issue, scuba is perhaps not the sport to be involved in afterall.
Good grief! We're talking about the possibility (very, very, very, very small IMO) of losing a small 2-3 lb. trim weight due to it being stashed in a Velcro trim weight pocket. I bet that a lot of divers out there are diving "heavy" by a couple of extra pounds anyway.

Sadly, if you think buying Halcyon gear is going to keep you safe while you dive, you have fallen for their marketing propaganda hook, line, and sinker. I completely disagree with your comment that I bold-faced in the above quote. Furthermore, IMO I don't think that Halcyon makes anything that's "best in class." (OK, maybe I'll concede that their webbing harness material is quite good.)

I'm an XS Scuba Dealer and I think that they do indeed have some great priced products. I am on staff at a local Quarry (Dutch Springs) where I watch the water and assist if divers have problems. You would be amazed as to the amount of divers who blow safety stops or pop to the surface half way through their dives and a good portion of them have done this because of losing weight in a Velcro designed pocket, so that's where I am coming from.

I think you're referring to dump-able weight pockets attached to the BC with velcro, not the XS scuba type that threads on the waistbelt or cam band, and has a velcro closure. The XS scuba pockets only hold one weight each, the velcro is not holding the weight in place (it's not on the bottom unless you're upside down) and are very reliable.

Edit; saw that bubbletrubble beat me to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom