Best Roatan resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hopefully when the virus starts to become controlled, I would like to go to Roatan. Which resort is your favorite and why

Haven't been yet; I'll try to shoot a heads up about your post to @Doc as he's given a lot of info. on Roatan over the years. I've been researching options, too. The main popular ones I've seen were CocoView Resort and Anthony's Key Resort, with honorable mentions to Turquoise Bay Resort and the Roatan Aggressor.

Here are some questions that may help people help you:

1.) Is onsite shore diving important?
2.) Is a nearby sandy beach important?
3.) Is the option to bring kids under 10 years old important?
4.) Is proximity to the West End/West Bay area important, or do you mostly prefer 'staying on the reservation?'
5.) Is macro a strong interest?
6.) Is buffet or entre' dining preferable? (I ask because someone complained about portion size at AKR in one thread, and I think CocoView Resort has buffet normally, IIRC).
7.) How many dives do you want to do in a week?
8.) Will a non-diver, or a partner who dives a little but wants to do other things, be along?

@drrich2 makes some good points.
I have been a few times and I don’t have a ‘favourite’.
When I want to dive a bit and veg the rest of the time, Media Luna is great. It is out at the almost end of nowhere.
Anywhere on West Bay Beach is great if you have non divers or children, or want to do ‘excursions’.
West End is happening if you are talking 20 or 30 somethings.
Dive, dive, dive is Cocoview, or maybe Anthony’s Key if it’s only dive, dive.
I have stayed at Mayan Princess, Henry Morgan and Media Luna

our shop uses fantasy island. i have never been as they always go in march and that time frame does not work for me.
the shop owner loves it there. i have not heard anything negative about it from our customers. online reviews seem to be hit and miss.
i think like any other resort, especially an all inclusive, it depends on your expectations. from what i understand, fantasy island is pretty basic.
i think the main reason the shop owner likes this place is that it has good shore diving on site.

One other question, do you actually want a "resort"? We have a place in West End that's available for rent, and there are many other close by options, including Cocolobo. Walking distance to town (Half Moon Bay is 5 minutes walk) and all of the dive ops and food etc. Personally we like Sun Divers, but there are a lot of good options right there. Plenty of dining options too, or you can hit the supermarket and cook your own. After dinner there's then multiple bar options too. We've taken the water taxi down to West Bay, and we've been to Anthony's Key. I'd do the latter over the options at West Bay.

Here are some questions that may help people help you:

Well asked.

Roatan is a perfect example of an island where exactly such criteria must first be stated.

There are any number of answers, but they are only answers to specific questions.

Such an OP merely opens up flood gates to shotgun blasts.

Roatan can satisfy the needs of most any dive traveler, but only if they locate the precise product they specify.

You can even sleep with the fishes, and Luca, this I have done, myself!

As ddrich asked, whatcha want?

Thanks for the great thoughts! Yes shore diving is important. Night life and partying are not priorities. We are going for the diving, everything else is secondary. We do enjoy the comfort of a above average hotel

Thanks for the great thoughts! Yes shore diving is important. Night life and partying are not priorities. We are going for the diving, everything else is secondary. We do enjoy the comfort of a above average hotel

@CathyE , Coco View it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom