Best Roatan resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatan is such a Long Island that a visual reference to where things are may be helpful. At Moon Travel Guides online, you can find available for download this map, copyright Avalon Travel:

03_02_Roatan.jpg

Click it to open a bigger version in another window. It's the best map I've found yet that's easy on the eyes, has almost everything I want and not too much else. You can see where West End, AKR, Turquoise Bay and Coco View Resort are in relation to each other.

I really liked Anthony's but id take the aggressor over that all day long. Fantastic trip there October 2020

06804676-82AB-48BD-998F-6F466F02B03E.jpeg

‘Bout as useless as the “moon map”.

Hopefully when the virus starts to become controlled, I would like to go to Roatan. Which resort is your favorite and why

We stayed at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, which is centrally located right in the middle of West Bay...

As I recall they had full-size options with kitchens and private terraces; and also an onsite dive op, pool, bar, food, etc. I cannot speak for how it is now, but at the time it was a very nice place and we had a great time staying there. The big plus for us was the location, which is right up against the gorgeous beach at West Bay and with convenient access to all the top side activities in the area. There is also great snorkeling within walking distance down at the southern Iron Shore, and even some nice shore diving for those in-the-know. There is/was a super fun jungle zip-lining operation a short cab ride up the hill, and plenty of water taxis to take you around to the happenings in the little town of West End.

I suppose it all comes down to what you are looking for, but fortunately there are plenty of options. The dive-centric resorts like Anthony's and Coco View have their charms, but they are a little remote for my taste. We wanted to be nearer to restaurants, bars, shops, etc., and the Mayan Princess was a great choice for our needs.

@drrich2 makes some good points.
I have been a few times and I don’t have a ‘favourite’.
When I want to dive a bit and veg the rest of the time, Media Luna is great. It is out at the almost end of nowhere.
Anywhere on West Bay Beach is great if you have non divers or children, or want to do ‘excursions’.
West End is happening if you are talking 20 or 30 somethings.
Dive, dive, dive is Cocoview, or maybe Anthony’s Key if it’s only dive, dive.
I have stayed at Mayan Princess, Henry Morgan and Media Luna

I have heard great things about Coco View - now in my opinion the BEST option if you want to dive dive dive is ROATAN AGGRESSOR. Up to 5 dives daily and the captain, Eddie, is fantastic. I haven't been on the Aggressor in Roatan but on Belize Aggressor when Eddie was captain on that boat.

Nice aspect too about Roatan Aggressor is that you dive both Roatan and some diving in Utila :)

One of our very first dive trips back in 1999 was to Fantasy Island. Would NOT recommend. We paddled over to Coco View one afternoon (Fantasy is/was right next door) and thought hey now, why didn't we come here? LOL

https://www.barefootcay.com/ might interest you. No home reef that I know of and not as dive intensive as CCV but it is south side and I think it would be considered an above average hotel.
Barefoot Cay is a lovely little boutique resort! You can do 3 dives a daily, night dives when there are at least 4 divers. Food is very good, and the little villas are outstanding.

our shop uses fantasy island. i have never been as they always go in march and that time frame does not work for me.
the shop owner loves it there. i have not heard anything negative about it from our customers. online reviews seem to be hit and miss.
i think like any other resort, especially an all inclusive, it depends on your expectations. from what i understand, fantasy island is pretty basic.
i think the main reason the shop owner likes this place is that it has good shore diving on site.
I have a very different view of Fantasy Island. To be fair, our trip there was in summer of 1999 so maybe it has changed. Food was horrible, really greasy and unappetizing. Rooms were old and some had bugs in them. The AC didn't work in ours very well.

For a much better stay, in my opinion, go to Coco View. They are right next door to Fantasy Island and have the exact same shore diving/reef.

Back
Top Bottom