Best Places to Dive in the Philippines for Recently Certified Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handa9000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello,

I will be in the Philippines in May and was wondering what some of the better spots would be to go? I am a newbie to diving however. I would like to see corals and bigger fish/ marine life. Thanks.

Malapascua, Moalboal (Cebu), Puerto Galera, Anilao...

The wrecks at Coron aren't so easy. Subic has easy wrecks, but not so much coral and big fish... it's a convenient quick trip from Manila though.

There's lots of other spots to explore also - most have good viz and easy conditions with a range of sites.

Boracay is a popular destination, but doesn't have a great reputation for diving spots.

Corals? Not a problem in this country at the moment but not too sure in the future.
Big fish? Only Malapascua can more or less guarantee this in the form of thresher shark. However, the dive site(Monad Shoal) requires AOW because of the depth ~24m.

BTW, how much time do you have? Malapascua will require another internal flight from Manila unless you can fly in to Cebu City directly.

Then you should definitely try Cebu area(Visayas). Plenty of time to cover at least three places eg. Dumaguete, Malapascua and Moalboal,
Plenty of old posts about the area.
Malapascua is the most isolated of the three.
Public transport is readily available but very slow.

Is alona beach and bohol good as well for a beginner?

I had bad experience with two reputable operators on the GAS that they supplied couple of yrs ago. They and few others were relying on one supplier. We could smell OIL!!!!!! Thing might have improved but ...
As far as I know Sea Explorers is one of the few who still filling their own tanks.
Diving along Alona Beach is boring, the best sites are over in Balicasag, Pamilacan and Cabilao(far).

IMHA, there are better places in the world if you want to see big fishes: Maldives, french Polynesia, Sipadan......................

Please note that I am going to the Philippines within a few weeks. But the goal is to see the HUGE biodiversity, not sharks and other biggies :)

True - the Philippines doesn't have as many schools of large fish/turtles/sharks...as Sipadan. BUT, it has a lot more biodiversity and enough Trevally and Turtles for any diver (Apo Island, off Dumaguete - for instance). And The Philippines is a lot more affordable than Sipadan and you wont have to get up at 5:30 am to dive to try to squeeze in as many dives as possible on your one permit day for your dive trip. I'd work Anilao into the mix as well - easy diving - varied (helicopter wreck and Darry Laut wreck as well as great corals and muck diving). For new divers - I don't think you could do better.

We went to Bohol, Moalboal, and Dumaguete / Dauin. If I went again, I'd trade Moalboal for Malapascua or Cabilao or somewhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom