Best place to buy used equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the classifieds section here and on TDS. Usually, people on forums are active divers and participants who won't put up junk or try to rip off other dives.

Yup, and most people here seem to maintain their gear well also. I've gotten - and hopefully provided - some pretty good deals here on SB!

Another vote for eBay and The Deco Stop. There is a lot of overpriced gear but many good deals can be found with a little patience. I service my own stuff so I don't factor in paying someone to overhaul gear. I often buy regs for 25-40 bucks and spend 10-20 bucks to make it like new again. I also agree that the Conshelf designs will be used decades from now and is a great bargain used, especially the Conshelf 14 metal regs.

JT,

Networking is a great way to get what you are looking for. I didn't see anywhere what you need. If you are looking for a BC, computer, regs, etc, ask for it. You would be amazed how many people have the light bulb go off when someone puts up a post like "new to diving, need a good starter reg".

Do your homework on what you are looking at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the reliability, warranty, history, dependability or ease of maintenance. Another thing you need to pay attention to is reading between the lines on advice that is given for a product.

There is first hand experience and knowledge and there are internet posting "gurus". All I am saying is alot of advice is given with "emotional factors" in there because they are used to that product, know someone that has it, its aesthetically appealing, it fits THEIR needs, etc.

Although this feedback may play a part in the decision, sometimes people don't put enough emphasis on the practical application and quality. Too often I hear of recommendations made without the proper qualifying questions asked for your situation.

I am not directing this response to any specific group or individual, just giving you a little food for thought. It makes much more sense to do homework, the problem is you probably don't know where to start.

Bottom line, education is the key along with non-bias guidance from those that have a bit more experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions, don't be afraid to do homework, don't be afraid to buy with LOGIC, don't decide just based on appearance, gut feeling or just cost.

When you ask questions........ LISTEN to the answers...... Key word there.... At some point you are going to have specifics features relayed to you about items you are buying and will have to take the word of others on the value or application of such. It won't take you long to figure out when someone truly has your best interest at heart or they are trying to get rid of something you might buy.

There are areas to skimp and areas not to. I would have you skimp on fins, not on a regulator setup. I would rather kick a few extra times than be uncomfortable because a reg is making you breather harder...... :D

You are in my back door. Send me contact info if you want me to follow up with you. Be prepared for me to hit you with a list of questions to find what is going to work for you. I will give you my input based on my experience, for what that is worth. After talking to someone like myself, come back on here and ask others, that is the way you learn..

There are tons of good products and brands out there. You just have to evaluate your specific needs before moving forward.

The best way to learn is not by a price tag if you don't know the industry, my $.03

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom