Best place to buy used equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTH2711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This may be a repost, if so sorry. I am looking for thoughts on the most reputable places to buy used equipment. I know I may be opening Pandoras box so let put some parameters on this. First I am aware of Leisure Pro and Scuba .com along with other online sites that have a Used scuba section. I guess what I am referencing is Private sellers on Ebay and Craigslist can I and Should I trust that. I know it all needs to be checked out by competant and certified techs. Used equipment from private sellers makes me a little nervous. Sometimes the deals are crazy.

You can sometimes get great deals on good gear on eBay or Craiglist, but there is also a lot that is overpriced, crap. or both. I think it's best to have a decent knowledge of gear, what it's really worth, and what questions to ask. Or before purchasing something get advice from someone more experienced in gear and what's typically on eBay.

Stuff for sale privately on some online forums (like this one) may be a better bet. If nothing else, if someone posts overpriced/junk/suspect gear usually someone else will comment. Also, I think the people selling gear here on average have a better knowledge of what they are selling. Sometimes people sell stuff on eBay or Craiglist that they got who knows where and they really have no clue about it.

I see posts on our local craigslist all the time for gear. Usually the person posting is not knowledgeable about the equipment and the real value. They have old gear that is way over priced.
Several years ago there was a post for several Luxfer AL80 tanks. They were only several years old. The asking price was way overprices, but I offered him $30 for all 3. He sold them to me for that price just to get them out of his garage. Now that was a good find.
Carrie

eBay for me on used gear. Or TDS at times. Or friends who are getting out of the biz.

Addendum:
I service my own stuff so it's not a big deal for me. But as stated it helps to know what you're doing when buying used.

Last edited:
At times you can get deals on Ebay or Craigslist but you need to know what you are getting and it's always a gamble. Reguardless of where you get the gear, figure in another $100 to $150 to get it serviced. The exception to that is if you purchase from a dive shop or you trust that the person really did "have it serviced last week"- not something I would do unless I know the person. I get some gear off ebay but I do all my own service so cost is not an issue. There is nothing wrong with used gear, just know what it's worth and have it serviced before any serious use.

I like the classifieds section here and on TDS. Usually, people on forums are active divers and participants who won't put up junk or try to rip off other dives.

Ebay seems like a mixed bag at times, but my experiences there have been good as well. You gotta know what you're looking for, though.

This is doubly true on craigslist, where many of the ads I've seen are from people who don't dive (selling stuff in garage sales, etc.) and don't always know what they're selling, and a lot of the equipment is older and almost qualifies as vintage gear. This is however, the best place to find those *killer* deals that you won't find anywhere else. I keep an RSS feed with a "scuba" filter on my regional craigslist for sale page.

If you look on this board you can get some good deals, but if you buy from Leisure Pro or Scuba Toys online, you may be able to get it new for almost the same price as used :)

Hey JTH2711:

I have had great luck with SB, TDS, and eBay. Feedback provided by previous sellers speaks volumes but I would still buy from an unknown if I got all of the answers I wanted through correspondence. To totally discount private sellers might lose you the best deal ever. Of course it could save you a headache too, so I guess it's the buyers call ultimately.

If someone like awap, Herman, or DA Aquamaster (there are others too) were selling regulators and you chose not to buy from them because they are private, I think you'd be missing out on the most used but well maintained equipment (I get a good idea from reading their posts). On the other hand if I was selling a mixed gas rebreather or a souped up scooter for a great price, watch out because I know nothing of these two items and they could be junk. This is just an example though as I would not sell anything I know nothing about. So, speaking of my scuba knowledge, 'you wanna buy a skydiving rig? :)

Seriously, just do your homework, ask questions, and haggle on prices. If something doesn't feel right or you aren't getting the answers you want, then walk away. There are always just as good or better deals out there. The ultimate quality for the buyer though: patience.

I hope this helps and good luck.

With kind regards,
Thomas

I appreciate the input. Being on a budget sucks

Echoing what everyone else said:

But here's the thing that matters most in my mind: Some gear just lasts longer. I have a bunch of "built like a tank" first stages from US Divers aqualung that someone will be diving with in twenty years.

(SEA first stages I bought for rental gear in a dive operation.)

I was buying a lot of gear, so I did not have to worry if any one particular piece was no good. (I have 14 of these first stages). Without that safety net though, I would be more likely to buy from a local shop that sells used gear. There may not be one near you, but (for instance) NESS sells freshly serviced used gear. There are some absolutely great deals there. And the service is done by them, right on site. Smart shops sell used gear: You have to pay for parts and labor every time you service it since it is without any kind of factory warranty.

Back
Top Bottom