best place in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I for one don't want to try to change your mind. Coz is best for reef diving, Tulum/Playa del Carmen for Cenote diving, beaches and some of the other things you mentioned recently. You can do a day trip to the peninsula from Coz as many do. If you wanted to spend more time around PDC/Tulum, you might want to split the trip nights. There are many possibilities, and I would like to help you plan it to your taste - not seem rude again.

You could even book an Open-Jaw ticket, flying into Coz for that part of the trip, then flying out of Cancun after the peninsula part. Easyway car rental has very good rates and no drop charge, but get good maps. Cando maps are great, including the Cancun airport, but Mapquest just recently started working onm Mexico road plans.

If you :search: this forum for Sabor and Wyndham you may see some issues you might not know about. The property has two docks, but does not own the concrete dock and San Dollar who was recently kick out as the dive shop is operating on the cement dock they own - screwy. The resort has a reoccurring problem with Legionellosis infections too.

But whatever you think. Good luck planning.

ok, you ve convinced me. We are going there for diving specifically, and other water activities, saling, etc.. I had heard that PDC was the place to go for cenotes and still do some reef diving , all in the same trip. BUt it sounds like Cozumel really is the mecca, and a must do. I am looking at the Sabor adults only resort now on Cozumel , getting ready to reserve a pool terrace room.

Captain Don used to let you rent his sail boat in Cozumel, but that was about 10 years ago when I did that last, not sure he's still around.

Two trips are unfortunately in your future.

A trip to Cozumel for top 5 Caribbean dive experience, then another over on the main land to do a bigger variety of things and really experience what the Yucatan Peninsula has to offer - Awesome ruins, awesome beaches, great night life, some decent diving, great food etc...

Akumal is a great place to stay putting you in the middle of everything or PDC if you want to be in the thick of it.

Now that you made the right choice of destinations, make the right choice of dive shops. I strongly recommend Aldora. See other posts for all the reasons. I want the longest dives I can safely do. Aldora uses high pressure steel 120's that are usually filled to 3250 to 3400 psi. There are no preset dive time limits, like some ops that limit the dive to 30 min or 45 min. Divers are matched on boats for similar experience levels. It's a long way from home for me and I don't want to limit my bottom time by the amount of air I bring down with me. If you are good on air, than maybe not a concern for you. For me it's all about the air. If you want to hunt lionfish, they can take you out of the marine park so you can spear. They will pick you up wherever you stay.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Now that you made the right choice of destinations, make the right choice of dive shops. I strongly recommend...
Do you work for Aldora? :D

Aldora is a fine dive op, don't get me wrong, but it is just one of many great ops on Cozumel. It is the most expensive one, if price is a consideration, and several of the points you cite in their favor are common to many other ops as well.

Different ops provide different services at different price points, There is no one op who is the best for everyone. There is no universal "right choice". I prefer a more economical no frills operation (which is considerably less expensive), but YMMV.

Aldora is a fine dive op, don't get me wrong, but it is just one of many great ops on Cozumel. It is the most expensive one, if price is a consideration, and several of the points you cite in their favor are common to many other ops as well.

Different ops provide different services at different price points, There is no one op who is the best for everyone. There is no universal "right choice". I prefer a more economical no frills operation (which is considerably less expensive), but YMMV.

OK, tell me what you think of Blue Angel diving. I heard 1 rec for them.
We aint gonna get no legionaires bacteria, we are blessed by God. :eyebrow:

I like Blue Angel just fine. What do you want to know about them? As to legionnaire's bacteria and divine blessing, I don't get the point of that, sorry.

That makes no sense at all, to me anyway...

1: What is the meaning of "1 rec for them" in plain and understandable English? It's certainly a fine dive Op, low cost, no frills, small fast boats that get you to two good dives and back for lunch at lunchtime safely, great DMs, etc. No one is perfect but they're close enough for me and reasonably priced. The hotel is too expensive for me and I have another Op I like a little better, but many do recommend them, so if you meant "one recommendation," then you would be in error by a significant number.

2: WTH is that about legionaires (sic)? Legionellosis is found all over the world including much of the US, but only a known problem recently at the Sabor - and the Playboy mansion in California. :eyebrow:

Cheap doesn't necessarily = inexpensive.

I've heard many say that measured by bottom time alone Aldora will be the least expensive dive op going.

I've heard many say that measured by bottom time alone Aldora will be the least expensive dive op going.
Aldora is known to be a fine Op, and I put it that way only because I've never dived with them - but would like to. On the other hand, many dive Ops have 100cf tanks anyway, some charge a little more for them, some don't. I dived nothing but 100s last trip - which is what it takes for this old air hog to last as long as the average on 80s. :blush: I should train more for trips.

As far as "steel 120's that are usually filled to 3250 to 3400 psi" goes, don't make more of the psi than what it is. It's filling to 3400# or so that makes them 120s, but not more than that. Dave told me once what tanks they actually use but I certainly do not remember nor have that email saved so I don't know, but for example - if they are PST E7-120 tanks, then they have to be filled to 3442# to obtain 120cf. There's more to that story but not mine to tell, but he does a fine job.

120 is 20% more than 100, sure - but not exactly the holy chalice. :eyebrow: I don't know what they charge actually, I know it's more than most, but they offer a lot more than biggest tanks.

In most cases, I can get an hour or so from an al80 many times more depending on the dive. By that time, I am cold and uncomfortable and ready to surface. Diving with a 120 is nice but for me and many others does not add any more value. I am perfectly happy diving with the al80s.

Back
Top Bottom