best place in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very simple, really, nothing sexist about it: just like women tend to be smaller than men, women have smaller lungs. I've dove with plenty of small men divers and can attest they typically also have better air consumption than larger men. However, even a woman the same size as a man will have smaller lungs than the man, they're just built that way.

It's very simple, really, nothing sexist about it: just like women tend to be smaller than men, women have smaller lungs. I've dove with plenty of small men divers and can attest they typically also have better air consumption than larger men. However, even a woman the same size as a man will have smaller lungs than the man, they're just built that way.

Women have smaller lungs because they have larger hearts!!!!!!!!!!:D

My point was that I get a big bang for my diving dollar using AL80s. Paying more to get more time with 100s or 120s is silly for me and many other people. My middle aged overweight husband goes pretty far on the AL80s as well. The argument that diving Aldora is less expensive because you get more underwater time because of the larger tanks is lost on me. They may be a great dive op but not for everyone. Most times I get cold before I run out of air. I do prefer steel tanks to the aluminum. When we dove in New England, I used steel 72's. Love them and own 4 of them. Wish somehow I could get them to Cozumel.

When we dove in New England, I used steel 72's. Love them and own 4 of them. Wish somehow I could get them to Cozumel.
The 3500 mile adventure...!!

2vl5z41.jpg

Take them apart and fly them in.... There might be an extra baggage fee, but some of them arent too bad. One of the airlines will actually let you bring them with some air in them, I be believe, but I think you have to have a gauge on them or something. (Yes I was looking into it...)

Take them apart and fly them in.... There might be an extra baggage fee, but some of them arent too bad. One of the airlines will actually let you bring them with some air in them, I be believe, but I think you have to have a gauge on them or something. (Yes I was looking into it...)
Pre-TSA you could leave some air in tanks, but nowadays the valve must be removed. Airlines like Continental have a severe fee for scuba tanks but as long as you don't tell them, TSA won't - and my 19# pony has never had a problem. A steel 72 weights around 30# plus valve.

If the bag is lost, you have little to no recourse on the tank.

Well, DD, I looked again and still on United and Airtran, they list a tank with 40# as ok. I didn't say it was cheap, but if you wanted to take them and leave them, it might be an option for some.
From the airlines with the excess removed:
UnitedAllowance/requirements

1 empty tank (max. pressure
40 psi)
AirtranWhat scuba equipment is allowed as checked baggage?
Scuba equipment with a tank is accepted as checked baggage for an additional fee of $79 (this fee does not apply to scuba equipment without a tank). All scuba equipment must be in a suitable bag.
Scuba equipment consists of the following when applying the additional fee:
•one (1) scuba tank that is empty or with less than forty (40) pounds per square inch (PSI) of air pressure,

We have worked with Aldora Divers on Cozumel. Good crew, steel 120 tanks - so you use less weight and have a longer dive time. Provided jackets to keep us warm as we moved from one dive site to another....now that was really nice! They have a hotel too - but we have never stayed there - we ferry over from Playa del CArmen. They pick you up at the hotel if you stay there. In the future we want to stay in Cozumel.

The 3500 mile adventure...!!

2vl5z41.jpg

Thanks for the map Don! Now I wont get lost! If it cost just $79. I would take a tank down, I have a place to store it in Cozumel. I love my baby steel tanks.

Well, DD, I looked again and still on United and Airtran, they list a tank with 40# as ok. I didn't say it was cheap, but if you wanted to take them and leave them, it might be an option for some.
From the airlines with the excess removed:
UnitedAllowance/requirements

1 empty tank (max. pressure
40 psi)
AirtranWhat scuba equipment is allowed as checked baggage?
Scuba equipment with a tank is accepted as checked baggage for an additional fee of $79 (this fee does not apply to scuba equipment without a tank). All scuba equipment must be in a suitable bag.
Scuba equipment consists of the following when applying the additional fee:
•one (1) scuba tank that is empty or with less than forty (40) pounds per square inch (PSI) of air pressure,

Just called Delta and they want $400. per tank from LGA to CZM. Guess the 72s will have to stay stateside!

Back
Top Bottom