Best fins for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife's fin broke on a practice dive this weekend. She has been using Apollo prestiges (paddles) for years and would really prefer the same fins but they no longer make them so we need to find something new.

We have been looking at the Apollo Bio fins but have seen some adverse comment regarding split fins, particularly with regard to manouvrability - an important issue for her. Can anyone make any recommendations on the best options?

We are typical recreational reef divers, Cozumel & Caribbean. nothing too hard or too deep.

Janaki is reasonably fit but not an athelete.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

I originally bought my Apollo Bio-fins for snorkeling a few years back, then got certified last year. Both my husband & myself have had no problems, and actually find them very helpful, as a little effort goes a long way. Our OW & AOW instuctor also swears by them. Bought my daughter a pair for Christmas, as she plans to get certified this summer.

I can't disagree with anything from the Rodale's Review:
The Apollo bio-fin Pro was the first propeller fin and is now the most refined of the genre. Its negative buoyancy, open-toe design, small blade size, range of available sizes and ample foot pocket all contribute to its outstanding performance. The Pros achieved the best overall scores and are among the most consistent and stable of all the fins we have tested. This fin's buckles are excellent, and the heel straps have a large open loop to make them easier to put on and take off.

I find that my manouvrability is excellent wit the bio-fins ........

I have Aqualung V-tek fins very close design to the Bio fin.

I woudn't use them for diving any place you might have a bit of current. Next time I go to mexico they will stay behind and I'll bring my trusty Blades.

That being said I do like my splits. I think they will work fine for most of the diving I do which is in lakes and ponds where theres no current.

Geek

my wife has the scuba pro twin jets full foot and she loves them. They dont weight that much and the composite is very flexible.

After she got a good handle on the kicks and method that work for those type of finns (more cardio than regular fins but less drag = less cramps) she has been very happy and she keeps up with everyone even in some nice currents down here.

bye
ivan

I've been using Apollo Bio fins for several years and I love 'em. Currents, maneuvering, photographing, etc. are no problem at all. In fact I prefer them in currents. Split fins of any brand are easy to overpower with strong leg strokes. That's one reason alot of men say they don't work. You do have to alter your finning style a bit to a slightly bent leg, shorter kick with some ankle action. The one drawback is you lose that initial thrust of blade fins but with a matter of 3-4 kicks, you've made up for it.

If at all possible, try to borrow a pair of splits for your wife to try. It helps if someone will demonstrate the kicking style needed. I really do wish someone would make a video showing the differences!

I own two pair pf split fins...the original Apollo Bio Fins and Atomic splits. The Atomics have stiff platons added along the split which makes them just a bit stiffer than the Apollo's. This helps with that initial thrust mentioned.

I also have Apolo Bio Fins, and they are great fins!!! Very easy to handle!
My wife use Tusa fins, and she is doing well!
I have friend of mine, and she was using Mares 4 Avanti, and she change it for Cressi Sub. She says that Mares 4 Avanti are too big for her!

I forgot who I was responding to!

Grajan once bubbled...
Dee,

When are you going to be at Twin Lakes this weekend?....

Graham

Knowing Beast, we'll probably be there around 11-noon on Sat. And yes...she's more than welcome to try my fins!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom