Best fins for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been told that Mares owns Dacor and the Tigers are VERY similar to the Volo's. does this make sense? Are they significantly different?

Yes, the two companies are basically one. If one company "introduces" a feature, it soon shows up in the other line. For example, Mares had the ABS fin closures, which eventually wound up on Dacor fins.

There are similarities between the Tigers and the Volos, like the fact that they are hinged. However, there are differences in the configurations & the way the fin materials are used.

With any fin the best way to find out whether you like them is to test drive them in the pool.

~SubMariner~

I've seen a lot of debate about which fins work the best. It really boils down to personal preference, I think.

Trying out different types is ideally the best way for a person to determine what works best for them. Be sure to ask about the "proper" finning method for the type fins you are trying though. A small adjustment can make a HUGE difference in the results you get from the fins.

Personally, I have 2 sets of fins. For the most part, it depends on where I am going to be diving as to which set I choose.

1. Force Fins (Adjustable): My favorites!!!! Never EVER had a leg cramp with these, and great performance at the same time. Wouldn't even think about use anything else when doing a shore dive.........very easy to walk in. (There are a couple of videos on their website showing how they work.) I highly recommend checking them out!!!

2. Tusa X-pert Zoom Split Fins: A little awkward getting back in the boat until you get used to them, but also great performance. I've not had any problem using them in a strong current as I've seen mentioned about other split fins.

After reading all the different posts, I can understand how you could get more confused. It is definitely worth it to check out different options before making the final decision though.

Good luck in your search.

Dive Safe.........and have fun!!!

Thanks for all the great input. After trying out Dee's Apollo's and various other brands we spent this afternoon doing a swim-off in the WW Divng pool (Humble Texas) - What a great team - I would recommend them to anyone.

We decided to replace my Avanti's as well as they were looking more than a bit tired.

I started out pretty fixed on the idea that I wouold end up with a pair of Quattro's and the early testing re-inforced that. We did not get on with the Apollos, the Atomic split fins felt 'too soft' and the Volo's felt 'broken', we discounted the force fins because we do a lot of snorkelling.

Anyway we tried to be as analytical as possible:

Speed - race down the pool and back - swap fins - repeat

Torque - see how high you can get yourself out of the water and sustain.

Manouverability - more subjective - swimming through hoops etc.

We came up with pretty consistent results:

Volo - stayed 'broken' was definitely slower and lower. just did not feel right.

Quattro - did it all - fast - most powerful - but HARD work.

Atomic Splitfin - ran rings round the others (after a bit of practice) less load but plenty of speed and equal torque. I even tried a Mares on one foot and an Atomic on the other. Not a really good test but the difference was noticable. Awesome downstroke acceleration and much less foot load.

I was sold (and suprised) before going into the shop I really thought splitfins were another gimmick. Now I have a pair.

Thanks again to WW Diving for their advice and hospitality. A class act.

You replaced your Avanti's??? Never thought that would happen...you were SO sure! :wink:

Great choice on the Atomics. They're Beasts favorites and my second best so how could I not agree. They weren't too hard on Jan's ankles?

Kudos to the WW Diving folks...they're great, aren't they? I'll probably be there Tuesday helping a new diver fine tune his BP fit. That pool saves my sanity during the winter!

Thanks for the breakdown of the fin test, I'm sire it will help others in their decisions.

Hope to see you both at the lake soon.

I'm always sure about something - until I'm sure about something else. No point in having half an opinion........:)

We are off to BVI on Friday :shades: so we will not be around for a couple of weeks but we will drop by after that.

Have fun.

I'ver read lots of the previous post regarding fins. I guess I've been diving long enough that I've had the opportunity to try most of the fins mentioned with the exception of the Tigers/Volos.
Right now I'm extremely happy with my Atomic Splitfins. I switched to them after using the Bios for about 1 year. I found that the Atomics are a little stiffer and have more thrust in a current. It seemed to me the Scubapro and the Bios collapsed in a strong current. I have had no trouble frog kicking, turning, hovering or positioning with spit fins. I also have several diving buddies that are avid videographers and photographers that have swithced to the Atomics and love them. They only type of diving they are not suited for would be cave, wreck or any type of diving where you might be following lines or laying lines as the line can get caught in the split. If you have a chance to "test dive" different fins then she can make an informed decision.

Dee once bubbled...

If at all possible, try to borrow a pair of splits for your wife to try. It helps if someone will demonstrate the kicking style needed. I really do wish someone would make a video showing the differences!

Here's a video of the Apollos.
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/videos.html#video1

I own three pairs of fins -- Apollo BioFins, Cressi Frogs, and ScubaPro TwinJets. The splits definitely are better than the paddles in efficiency, speed and ease of kick. Not sure which I really like better between the two splits. I like the Apollo buckles better than the SP twinjets because the latter don't swivel, which makes them much harder to get off in the water. I brought both along on my last trip to Coz. I switched back and forth between the two. At the end of the week, I was using the Apollos more often, but I can't really define a reason other than that I like the buckles better on the Apollos.

kraken once bubbled...
My wife switched from Mares Planra Avantis to Bio fins and has been happy ever since.
I use the quattros and will never go back. I've also heard that if you frog kick they are a bad choice, but if you kick in a more tradtional manner they are great.

Dave

You mean the Quatros are bad for a frog kick. I'd have to disagree, as that's my primary kick. I can get the same speed and distance with half the work compared to a flutter.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

You mean the Quatros are bad for a frog kick. I'd have to disagree, as that's my primary kick. I can get the same speed and distance with half the work compared to a flutter.

I'm confused. Which fin does who think is better for frog kicking???

I recently used my BioFins in Coz and on the last day was on a shallow dive which took me over multiple small (15 foot high) coral heads. I wanted to stay at the same depth and not zig-zag over the coral heads, since my N2 tissue loading was pushing the yellow on my computer (this was even though I was on Nitrox -- my buddy and I beat the divemaster on air consumption that dive). This path took me quite close to the vegitation on the tops of some of the heads, necessitating a frog kick to avoid damaging the sea life. This kick was no problem with the Biofins, and I was able to swich back and forth between different kicks with no problem. Also the dolphin kick is very easy and a pleasure to do in the Biofins.

I *love* my quattros!! I disagree with those who say they are hard work, I have very short legs and not great strength. I have also sprained one of my ankles very badly on a number of occasions and although it still gets quite painful and tight if I walk/jog too much on it my quattros don't seem to put any pressure on it at all!

We were diving this weekend and when we surfaced we were waving our SMB' around to try and get the skippers attention, ten minutes and he still hadn't seen us so we decided to start a surface swim back to the RIB and with the quattros we covered quite a bit of ground, against the current and fairly effortlessly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom