Best fins for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife switched from Mares Planra Avantis to Bio fins and has been happy ever since.

I use the quattros and will never go back. I've also heard that if you frog kick they are a bad choice, but if you kick in a more tradtional manner they are great.

Dave

Biofins...

We love 'em..

-Dennis

Thanks for all the input so far.

Here is the (well articulated) scoop from my local DS - who sells all of the following:

Straight line efficiency + Biofins - poor in stop / start mode or manouvring.

Max power and acceleration + Quattros - heavy on the ankles, harder work.

Best of both worlds, good manouvring + Volo's - Pricy

Any observations (apart from the fact that I am now more confused than when I started this investigation..:confused: ...)?

the Volos, the Quattros were too hard on me, and I have heard from someone who owns a pair that the splits aren't great in a heavy/sudden current. Maybe, though, your LDS would let her try out a few different pairs during their pool time? No harm in asking.

I've heard that manuverability is compromised with the split fins, but in the few years I've used them, I've not experienced that. I've taken them with me in cavern penetration, still, no problems with manuvering. I've been in all sorts of currents and surges, still, no issues to speak of. *shrug*

Try one, try 'em all! See what ya like!

-Dennis

Grajan once bubbled...
Thanks for all the input so far.

Here is the (well articulated) scoop from my local DS - who sells all of the following:

Straight line efficiency + Biofins - poor in stop / start mode or manouvring.
Partly true. No, you don't get the initial thrust of power that blade fins will give you, but the only time I miss that is when I divemastering a class. In that case I use the Atomic splits which are stiffer and don't have that proble. I haven't had any trouble maneuvering at all except for backing up using fins only and that just takes a few more strokes to do, but I don't feel like that is a reason to dismiss the fins altogether...I still have my hands! :wink:
Max power and acceleration + Quattros - heavy on the ankles, harder work.
Agree. If you have really strong leg muscles you'll probably prefer these.
Best of both worlds, good manouvring + Volo's - Pricy[/B]
The felt 'broken' to me and I never did find that in between kicking style that I was told was needed, they never did feel comfortable to me.

All I can say is I prefer them in any kind of current to speak of, as a photographer I can pivot and maneuver into any position I need to be in AND get out of it. A modified frog kick and a short flutter kick are my normal kicks. The only time I do not wear the Bio fins is when I DM a class and I need to be ready to surge after a student if I have to.

I have been using the Dacor Tigers for over 2 years now & find them excellent. Not only do they give you great maneuvrability with any type of fin stroke, but they are not huge heavy fins that are tiring on the legs/ankles.

They have performed well in various conditions (such as current) as well as cold water, salt water, etc.

Prior to the Tigers I used Plana Avantis. They were "ok". I tried to switch to Quattros (Pearce's favourite) but found they were just too big & heavy.

Meanwhile, last year I had occasion to try some Split fins & hated them: they simply don't give me enough thrust or enough flexibility in the type of stroke I use.

Just my $0.02s...

~SubMariner~

Thanks Dee,

We will see you at the weekend. I've managed to loan a pair of volos so we will have all the options....

Submariner,

I've been told that Mares owns Dacor and the Tigers are VERY similar to the Volo's. does this make sense? Are they significantly different?

I would highly recommend the Force Fins, probably the original, not the pro. The fins are short, highly maneuverable, won't crash the coral, and tremendously fast with a mild kick. They run about $87.00 from Leisure Pro.

Your wife might want to consider Force Fins. I've used them for nearly 10 years, and would never go back to standard fins. My original fins were PowerPlanas (this tells you how long ago I used them!). The Force Fins are small, maneuverable, and give me more than enough speed and power to keep up with the guys even against current. They work best with a bent-knee kick, and you don't get cramps. I do a lot of photography, and the small size is a great advantage so I don't hit the reef even up close. They are a little slippery on the boat deck, but again the short size makes them easy to walk in. I finally convinced my husband to try them, and he's a convert now, too.

Back
Top Bottom