Best film for Cozumel Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firefly000:
James, I am new to this board & I'm having trouble navigating to to where I need to be, but you seem to know the U/W photo world so I thought I would ask you... What camera would you recommend? I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure this stuff out. I would like to be able to take pictures of my dive partners along with close-ups throughout the dive. I realize that is strobe is a must for good pictures. I know that you must stay close to your subject. I thought I'd like a dig. camera but not sure of the quality of pictures they produce. I don't want to buy some cheap camera that I will be sorry I spent the money on after my next dive to Cozumel. I'm just getting started & would like something nice. It has been suggested by a pro photographer in Cozumel (she was not trying to SELL me a camera) to go with the Sea & Sea dx3000g. (I'm not sure I need to spend that kind of money to get great pictures) I have also looked at the MM III, MX5 II, MX-10, & the Sealife Reefmaster cameras SL515 , SL200, Sl560, DC310. I would REALLY like to get a camera before I leave on the 27th. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rhonda

Rhonda...I'm not James, but thought I would try to help if I could! The link he gave you should give you a lot of good info to get started. You will notice it is quite biased to digital. I firmly believe that you will have better results faster and really enjoy your uw photography more by starting with digital. I would not buy nor recommend any of the cameras listed in your post based on the rest of your post!

You'll see my post in the thread from James' link. I would suggest that a Canon in a Canon housing will be a great investment...I still reach for my Canon on land instead of the Oly 5050 that I now use almost exclusively underwater. I love these cameras. They are also comparatively inexpensive and readily available. The photos are great...I have a friend who recently blew a cropped image up to poster size from her very old A20 which is a 2MP camera and it looks fabulous - in this case the photo was great and the printer was great so it worked.

I don't think you will have quality issues with many of the cameras available that have housings also available. I'd personally stick with Canon (unless you really want to head to something like the Oly 5050); my second choice would be Olympus.

Please PM me or respond here if you have any questions that I can help with. I have more examples of what the 3.2 & 2 MP Canon A series cameras can do if you need them. I think the S series is slightly more expensive and the few IXUS series shots I have seen are also very good...

Thanks for the info. I know people get tired of answering questions like this. I appreciate you time.

Rhonda

No problem! We are here to help...you might want to do a search of the specific cameras (A70, A80, Stylus 400 etc) you narrow it down to as there may be examples or comments here...

Alcina, I have this post elsewhere. I'm trying to learn how to navigate around this board. I'm not very good at it. Anyway, you answered one of my posts about cameras. I have looked at what several are using & I've decided on a 5050 w/PT-015. Now I don't know what to order for the attachments/accessories (i.e. arm, strobe, lenses, etc.) and....where to buy. Anybody have suggestions? Leaving for Cozumel soon & I'd like to get stuff ordered so I can practice with it (or at least see how much $ it will set me back)

Thanks,
Rhonda

Rhonda, if you have a pretty good idea of what you want (ammend that: know exactly what you want), the sources I use are B&H Photo, Helix Photo, or Adorama. All are on-line retailers with great prices. If you call their underwater departments during working hours you can get some help with selecting parts, models, etc.

Your profile doesn't say where you're from; if you are on the west coast, the guys at Backscatter are friendly, knowledgable, and can outfit you down to the last special nut and bolt.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom