Best EPIRB for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Canister sure looks like a rebranded Custom Divers canister which I have. PLB DIVE CANISTER (NOV2016) INC BELT MOUNT - DIVING CANISTER

I have the ACR ResQLink View that is specifically called out as fitting the canister that you linked and conveniently suggested on the Amazon page. ACR ResQLink View - Buoyant Personal Locator Beacon with GPS for Hiking, Boating and All Outdoor Adventures (Model PLB 425) ACR 2922

Fits fine with minimal slop. I stow it with the PLB velco strap in case I need to attach it to my BC in use.

For me the status messages were worth the few extra $$ over the non-view model.

I have two of the ACR units which we carry in our boat. I have not invested in that Wicked case because I have heard they can be "impossible" to open and for that price I would expect a design revision to address that concern. I have recently purchased the Garmin In-Reach Mini and it's dive case which I intend to carry while diving in South Florida and when hiking or hunting.

James

Hi Scoobz

You want a PLB, not a EPIRB, and the models suggested on that Amazon page will all work. There are older ACR models for sale around, but keep in mind that battery life starts at manufacture date so you could be out $100+ for battery servicing soon. I had to replace mine recently and went with the ACR View. Pricey but long term costs are not bad, especially with the ACR replacement policy if used in an emergency.

Does your canister have a keyring hole? I use a keyring and bolt snap to attach mine to a D ring.
I have not invested in that Wicked case because I have heard they can be "impossible" to open and for that price I would expect a design revision to address that concern
I have the Custom Divers canister mentioned by JD above. I do breach it every day of a dive trip to check. I have 20+ dives on it now with no leaks and no problems.
  1. I do grease the O-rings well before each trip as I did with the canister before it that I lost.
  2. A recent discussion between the manufacturer and a member on another thread here established that it's best to leave a cap as wide and the thickness of a fingernail when closing.
I have recently purchased the Garmin In-Reach Mini and it's dive case
I have no idea how good those are at satellite relay emergencies.

Reactions: Doc
I have no idea how good those are at satellite relay emergencies.

I was not really asking, I was making a statement. The Garmins are not technically an EPRIB. The Garmin uses a private network and is a subscription service and while I have not used it in an emergency, of course, it works as advertised for the other functions, no reason to think it would not be a valuable asset if one were to find themselves floating towards Bimini. I may also purchase the canister for my ACR. The In-Reach is very tiny and easy to carry.

James

I was not really asking, I was making a statement. The Garmins are not technically an EPRIB. The Garmin uses a private network and is a subscription service and while I have not used it in an emergency, of course, it works as advertised for the other functions, no reason to think it would not be a valuable asset if one were to find themselves floating towards Bimini. I may also purchase the canister for my ACR. The In-Reach is very tiny and easy to carry.

James
The problem with the Inreach is there's no homing beacon. The PLB has an 457mhz homing signal which can be received directly by the USCG Dolphin helicopter that's coming to look for you as you drift away between FL and the Bahamas. They may still be able to find you depending on the refresh rate, the lag time between when Iridium receives the coordinates of the Inreach and the USCG is able to get them, and how fast the Gulf Stream is carrying you away.

A PLB is designed as a mini EPIRB and doesnt have these issues.

The problem with the Inreach is there's no homing beacon. The PLB has an 457mhz homing signal which can be received directly by the USCG Dolphin helicopter that's coming to look for you as you drift away between FL and the Bahamas. They may still be able to find you depending on the refresh rate, the lag time between when Iridium receives the coordinates of the Inreach and the USCG is able to get them, and how fast the Gulf Stream is carrying you away.

A PLB is designed as a mini EPIRB and doesnt have these issues.

I understand that. Successful rescues have been initiated by the In-Reach. The In-Reach is exceptionally portable and does allow limited messaging and provides GPS coordinates on an ongoing basis through a satellite network to rescuers until the battery is exhausted or the SOS is cancelled. It has a designed for diving accessory case. The case is easily opened for deployment of the SOS function and is transparent to check for water leakage. For some it may be a better option or an additional asset.

James

I have the same Wicked PLB canister for my ACR RESQLINK View, and it works great. A manufacturer rep recommended not tightening the cap all the way, leaving about a fingernail gap, and keeping the O rings siliconed to prevent difficulty opening. So far it has worked.

The problem with the Inreach is there's no homing beacon.
That makes it a non-player for rescues. A glorified cell phone is all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom