Best EPIRB for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

epirbs are for vessels. PLBs are for people.

Emergency is transmitted on 406, homing is 121.5.

457 is used by avalanche beacons. Its only good for around 100 meters. Which PLBs are using this?

Twentyonefive is around a mile or so.
I dont know why I said 457 lol, I had snow on the brain.

406 is line of sight and so is 121.5, but the latter is also easily blocked by anything (even your own arm). The reality is that the two signals work together. The USCG Dolphin that is coming out of someplace like Miami to find you is locking onto your 406 signal themselves for direction finding from 100+ miles away. They are not getting coordinates relayed to them via satelilte.

There's is no direction finding with the Inreach. The CG has no direction finding equipment to receive this signal and even if they did it's encoded like a cell signal. They have to go to the last relayed coordinates, then somehow find you visually, potentially in the dark or in big seas. The Inreach is a satellite text device with an SOS button. The PLB is designed from the ground up to communicate with SAR resources.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom